News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

If that is true, shouldn`t there be a huge scandal of it?

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2014, 01:02:48 PM
If that is true, shouldn`t there be a huge scandal of it?

No. In the grand scheme of things, leaving a shower on all day is wasteful, but not that big of a deal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2014, 12:46:42 PM
This is funny in how it slipped out, but this is also very serious.  Who knows how many foreign sources FSB will recruit once they finish going through all the hotel room footage?

I bet there isn't any hotel room footage. For domestic reasons, the government is probably very focused on making sure that any criticism by the foreign press is shown as anti Russian and a conspiracy against them rather than legitimate. He probably made this stuff up as defense against the criticism they are getting, without thinking through the implications.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2014, 01:12:22 PM
... For domestic reasons, the government is probably very focused on making sure that any criticism by the foreign press is shown as anti Russian and a conspiracy against them rather than legitimate. He probably made this stuff up as defense against the criticism they are getting, without thinking through the implications.

Exactly.  In fact, this is the Russian government engaging in a bizarre version of the ad hom.  Just as Spicey reverts to the ad hom when he is intellectually bankrupt, so does the Russian government.  They are just intellectually bankrupt more often than he is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 06, 2014, 12:06:32 PM
This is nice:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304680904579366712107461956?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304680904579366712107461956.html

QuoteSOCHI, Russia—Rooms without doorknobs, locks or heat, dysfunctional toilets, surprise early-morning fire alarms and a Welcome Wagon of stray dogs: These are the initial images of the 2014 Winter Olympics that foreign journalists have blasted around the world from their officially assigned hotels—and the wave of criticism has rankled Russian officials.

Dmitry Kozak, the deputy prime minister responsible for the Olympic preparations, reflected the view held among many Russian officials that some Western visitors are deliberately trying to sabotage Sochi's big debut out of bias against Russia. "We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," he said. An aide then pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms. "We're doing a tour of the media center," the aide said.

Just kind of slipped out, I guess.

:lol:

Can the "best of Sochi shower footage" tapes be far behind?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2014, 01:37:50 PM

Please please please tell me they are surveilling the Olympic Village and not just the journalist area.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Please please please tell me they are surveilling the Olympic Village and not just the journalist area.

Gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 06, 2014, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2014, 01:12:22 PM
... For domestic reasons, the government is probably very focused on making sure that any criticism by the foreign press is shown as anti Russian and a conspiracy against them rather than legitimate. He probably made this stuff up as defense against the criticism they are getting, without thinking through the implications.

Exactly.  In fact, this is the Russian government engaging in a bizarre version of the ad hom.  Just as Spicey reverts to the ad hom when he is intellectually bankrupt, so does the Russian government.  They are just intellectually bankrupt more often than he is.

Stop stalking me, creepy old man.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 06, 2014, 01:48:01 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 06, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Gay.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Valmy

50 Billions dollars doesn't buy you much in Russia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

If I were Kevin Bishop, that framed Putin picture would sooo be going home with me.  And maybe the calendar, too.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2014, 05:09:11 PM
50 Billions dollars doesn't buy you much in Russia.

Hold off on that judgment: no one is tweeting pictures of the contractors' dachas.