News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2014, 02:21:30 PM
Government is always a better option than Giant Corporate enterprises.

One sort of complements the other though...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Fortunately, those aren't the only choices.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2014, 02:28:03 PM

Fortunately, those aren't the only choices.

Really? Around here, there's barely anything private that is small enterprises.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Are you sure? Small businesses make up over 99% of employers in the US and more than half of GDP. It can't be so drastically different there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2014, 02:25:02 PM

I get a say in one, but not the other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2014, 09:26:20 AM+1.

I almost certainly disagree with you in many particulars about which choice is optimal in any given situation, but the basic foundation of what you are saying is accurate, especially the last sentence.

:cheers:

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2014, 10:49:36 AM
I actually wanted to mention "same as people pursuing communism" but decided against it.  :D

Ok so pure stateless libertarianism is impossible. We agree on that, and I have never advocated doing away with the state.

Doesn`t change the fact that "as little state as possible while staying effective" should be the prime guiding principle of any advanced society.
But that's just a baseless assertion.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on January 30, 2014, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2014, 10:49:36 AM
I actually wanted to mention "same as people pursuing communism" but decided against it.  :D

Ok so pure stateless libertarianism is impossible. We agree on that, and I have never advocated doing away with the state.

Doesn`t change the fact that "as little state as possible while staying effective" should be the prime guiding principle of any advanced society.
But that's just a baseless assertion.

it is not

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2014, 03:47:09 PM
it is not
Of course it is. It's your ideological perspective that's all. It's no different than saying fairness should be the first goal in politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2014, 03:52:28 PM
Of course it is. It's your ideological perspective that's all. It's no different than saying fairness should be the first goal in politics.

Which means that fairness should be the first goal is a baseless assertion too.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2014, 04:28:30 PM
Which means that fairness should be the first goal is a baseless assertion too.  :hmm:
Obviously. It's an ideological position like any other.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2014, 04:32:15 PM
Obviously. It's an ideological position like any other.

It's a statement of preference for economic efficiency coupled with the empirical observation that government, being by definition a monopoly, is not subject to competition.

"Obama is a Muslim" is a baseless assertion.

"I prefer whiskey neat" is not a baseless assertion.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2014, 02:42:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2014, 02:25:02 PM

I get a say in one, but not the other.

True but my point was generally you get both.  Especially in this country where government officials and corporate board members are sometimes the same people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2014, 04:41:25 PM
It's a statement of preference for economic efficiency coupled with the empirical observation that government, being by definition a monopoly, is not subject to competition.

"Obama is a Muslim" is a baseless assertion.

"I prefer whiskey neat" is not a baseless assertion.
Okay, I take your point though I'm not sure it's a hugely important distinction. This is still a baseless assertion:
QuoteDoesn`t change the fact that "as little state as possible while staying effective" should be the prime guiding principle of any advanced society.
It shouldn't necessarily be the prime guiding principle and it's not a fact.

QuoteTrue but my point was generally you get both.  Especially in this country where government officials and corporate board members are sometimes the same people.
I don't mind that as long as it's all transparent.
Let's bomb Russia!