Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on August 17, 2012, 12:25:38 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 17, 2012, 12:16:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2012, 12:16:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 17, 2012, 10:52:07 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2012, 10:40:55 AM
2 years in jail

Just to make sure you know. Russia isn't a lefty state anymore. It's a rightwing state.
No, really not.  A rightwing state doesn't jail entrepreneurs to take their business.

It does when the bigger business owner is the president/prime minister.

That's just good old-fashioned corruption.  Nothing particularly either lefty or righty about it.

True but viper started this on Facebook hinting that it was a Lefty thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Many idiots have drawn that connection.  The fact that Russia is far more fascist than anything else at this point is an idea that's too complex for them to comprehend.

Berkut

Russia doesn't seem to be close enough to the Western political model to try to cast them in any kind of "left/right" division.

They are just fucked up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

This thread reminds me of the arguments I had with webbrave on Paradox OT 10 years ago.  I claimed that Putin was turning Russia into an authoritarian state, webbrave laughed and recited some bullshit about bears walking in the streets of Moscow and other myths from the "Things Russians believe Americans believe about Russia" book.  I wonder where webbrave is now?  Hopefully somewhere in the basement of Lubyanka.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2012, 01:27:27 PM
This thread reminds me of the arguments I had with webbrave on Paradox OT 10 years ago.  I claimed that Putin was turning Russia into an authoritarian state, webbrave laughed and recited some bullshit about bears walking in the streets of Moscow and other myths from the "Things Russians believe Americans believe about Russia" book.  I wonder where webbrave is now?  Hopefully somewhere in the basement of Lubyanka.

I'd say "letting Russia revert" is more accurate than "turning Russia into". Their experiment with limited government was incredibly brief.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 17, 2012, 01:44:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2012, 01:27:27 PM

I'd say "letting Russia revert" is more accurate than "turning Russia into". Their experiment with limited government was incredibly brief.
Fair point.  Even Yeltsin's era would be more accurately described as impotent autocracy rather than an aborted attempt at democracy.

PRC

One of these girls has a Canadian passport.

The Brain

It was amusing 20 years ago when some Americans seemed to believe that Russia was changing into a real country.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2012, 01:15:37 PM
Russia doesn't seem to be close enough to the Western political model to try to cast them in any kind of "left/right" division.

They are just fucked up.

Well, Putin's party considers itself conservative and centrist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2012, 03:01:05 PM

They are just fucked up.

Because things are exactly as he wants them, and that's the very definition of "no change". :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: PRC on August 17, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
One of these girls has a Canadian passport.
Well then we better cancel it.  Fucking busybodies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2012, 03:06:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2012, 03:01:05 PM

They are just fucked up.

Because things are exactly as he wants them, and that's the very definition of "no change". :)

I had no idea that Centrist meant "no change".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

They're centrist by Russian standards, in that they're not going to nationalize everything and murder kulaks, nor are they going to invade Eastern Europe, China and all the various parts of the former Soviet Union.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

I think that an autocratic government that relies on the church to keep the masses obedient is about as rightist as you can get.  There is no waffling around the fact that Putin's Russia is a rightist dictatorship, and not either leftist or unclassifiable.

Valmy

Are we really debating about whether leftists or rightists should feel ashamed about Russia?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."