Out-of-town homeless families are flooding New York City shelters

Started by garbon, July 31, 2012, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2012, 03:06:12 PM
If I was being shipped out, I'd prefer Portland, OR. They have a soft touch on the housing challenged and I can eat shitty donuts from Voodoo donuts that people have tossed in the nearest dumpster.

I don't see how any of that puts Portland over SF.  Big plus would be that Portland is cheaper to live in but drawback is that it doesn't have as many potential job opportunities around (SF is connected rather easily to entire Bay Area)* and it rains more.

*assuming of course that one isn't aiming to be homeless forever. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

You guys do realize, I hope, that most cost of living does not impact the homeless. :unsure:

garbon

Cost of food certainly does and that varies dramatically.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

A loaf of Wonderful Bread costs about the same wherever you go.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Presumably they aren't buying bread as that wouldn't keep well outside. Anyway prices on a lot of items vary - for example fast food prices here in New York often are on par with what you'd pay in an airport...and cereal, I can pay 3 times less if I shop at a typical grocery store when visiting my parents over what I pay in Manhattan.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on July 31, 2012, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2012, 02:16:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2012, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 31, 2012, 11:53:35 AM
That's what some midwest towns did to ship their homeless to San Francisco.  Don't remember what SF's reaction was.

There did seem to be alot of homeless people in SF.  I could not help but think they picked a crap city to be homeless in.  Not only is it cold 365 days a year but the cost of living is astronomical.

You don't freeze to death in the middle of winter, and more of a left-wing political culture probably means more handouts.

I was shocked when I met the Vancouver crew a few years back and Jacob gave some money to a panhandler.  Nobody I know does that.  It just encourages them (and, by the way, some of them make pretty good coin panhandling.  Ah the things you learn doing docket court...)

How can they make good coin, if no-one gives them handouts?  :hmm:

Of the last group of homeless people I was talking with last week, all three of them had jobs, which were full time ones as well.

Homelessness is a complex phenomena, that embraces a wide range of personal circumstances.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2012, 04:40:10 PM
Homelessness Life is a complex phenomena, that embraces a wide range of personal circumstances.

FYP

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2012, 03:59:49 PM
You guys do realize, I hope, that most cost of living does not impact the homeless. :unsure:

It would seem to me it would make it harder to escape homelessness.  Rent in SF can be pretty steep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Scipio

Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2012, 12:04:22 PM
German welfare was paid for by state budgets (at least in pre-Hartz-IV days). If a needy person moved from one state to another, the new home state got to bill the previous state for a year (or two?).
Our solution has been to fuck the destination state right in the wallet.  Hard.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2012, 09:59:58 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2012, 04:40:10 PM
Homelessness Life is a complex phenomena, that embraces a wide range of personal circumstances.

FYP

Nope I think you'll find my original post is indeed correct; homeless people aren't just a bunch of whino-sitting around the streets getting drunk, stoned or violent, there are all sort of homelessness situations other than the caricatures that sometimes get trotted out on this forum.

But by all means, don't let me get in way of a good Garbon 'au contraire' moment/post, you do it so well, so often, it's as if one didn't need to see you posts, just that you've posted in a thread and from the subject matter one could guess what the content of you post will be.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps