News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Romney's Tax and Budget Plan

Started by Jacob, August 01, 2012, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/study-romney-plan-would-raise-taxes-on-95-of-americans.php

Is this just Democrat spin or is it accurate? If it's accurate, is that really going to help Romney in the election?

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

The report by researchers at the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution

That's our side's equivalent of Cato Institute and Heritage Foundation.

That said, closing loopholes means people don't get their tax breaks. Especially the mortgage one would certainly hurt the middle class the most.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Well if it balances the budget that is a plus on his side.  Of course he would never be able to get such a thing passed if closing loop holes means 'raising taxes'.  If the Republicans hold Congress they all swore on their Grandpapa's grave they would never raise taxes and if the Democrats are they will block him just because.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I thought loopholes were things that only rich people could take advantage of.  :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2012, 04:16:14 PM
Well if it balances the budget that is a plus on his side.  Of course he would never be able to get such a thing passed if closing loop holes means 'raising taxes'.  If the Republicans hold Congress they all swore on their Grandpapa's grave they would never raise taxes and if the Democrats are they will block him just because.

You'll have to ask Grover Norquist.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2012, 04:07:45 PM
That's our side's equivalent of Cato Institute and Heritage Foundation.

Eh... I've disagreed with the Cato institute, but they aren't crazy. I just don't see it possible to balance the budget with tax cuts which is what Romney has proposed, unless you slash spending. But he hasn't said anything about Medicare or Social Security, and he wants more military spending. So...