Which Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue or from Warsaw to Paris?

Started by Drakken, July 20, 2012, 10:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

As my wargaming itch still goes on, I've checked both Decisive Campaigns game over at Matrix. I'm hesitating: should I go with Case Blue or from Warsaw to Paris?

Case Blue seems more updated and comes with strategic decision-making, but weeding through Poles and humiliating Frenchies and Brits in Belgium does have its charm. 

What say you grognards?

Drakken

Guess these two went under the radar.

From what I see from comments both on the Wargamer and the Matrix forums both are considered gems, since this time cards and interactive orders are integrated as part of the game. AND, both are relatively cheap for the scope of the games, compared to monsters like WITE and WITP:AE.

Habbaku

I enjoyed the first one a good deal.  I imagine that Case Blue is probably the better game, though, since they'd have had time to figure out how to better represent things and come up with some new mechanics.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

I ceded and bought Warsaw to Paris, because it was on sale.  :blush:

Will play with it a bit, and buy Case Blue when it's on sale someday.

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

Quote from: Drakken on July 22, 2012, 02:43:45 PM
I ceded and bought Warsaw to Paris, because it was on sale.  :blush:

Will play with it a bit, and buy Case Blue when it's on sale someday.

Let me know if you want to do some PBEM.  Bonus : no rules to read! :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on July 22, 2012, 04:19:15 PM
Let me know if you want to do some PBEM.  Bonus : no rules to read! :P

I've still have the manual to read.

I've checked Case White (Poland), the different variants are quite interesting. I like the "Stalin screws Hitler" one.  :lol:

Habbaku

The manual is actually a fairly poor way to learn the game, I thought.  You get a feel for the mechanics a lot better, in my opinion, by fucking around a few turns in the game and looking up stuff to double-check, but that's just me.

The variants definitely lend some interesting replay value to the game, though some will make it rather impossible to pull off the historical result, of course.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2012, 03:40:41 PM
Quote from: Drakken on July 20, 2012, 10:12:43 PM
What say you grognards?

I say it's still Matrix Games.

Meh.  They have some good studios behind them.  The sad part is that designers still foolishly stick with Matrix and don't seem like they're trying to get on a major distribution chain like Steam.  At least, I assume that's by choice--I know Steam does do a bit of vetting.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

I suspect that studios have a binding contract with Matrix Games that ensures visibility in exchange for a long-term engagement to publish through Matrix. The problem with Steam is that many grognards refuse to use Steam as a matter of principle, and Steam isn't very interested in publishing nice grognard games. To Steam the Total War series are wargames.

As for the PBEM offer, I'll see if szmik and I follow through with our WITE game first. That one is gonna be monstrous.  :perv:

szmik

Quote from: Drakken on July 22, 2012, 10:13:14 PM
As for the PBEM offer, I'll see if szmik and I follow through with our WITE game first. That one is gonna be monstrous.  :perv:

WitP is monstrous. I played PBEM for 20 months everyday before getting bored by it :ph34r:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Drakken

Tried the Netherlands small scenario.

4 divisions are under the direct control of the 18th Army at the start of the game. Should I leave them as they are and treat them as Reserves, or assign them to either the X, XXVI, or IXL Corps?

Also, no Recon aircraft in the OOB?  :huh:

Habbaku

No clue, unfortunately.  I played a lot of Case White and Case Yellow and messed around with Sealion, but never touched the small stuff.

-J. R. R. Tolkien