5 Things to Know About the First Drug to Prevent HIV

Started by garbon, July 17, 2012, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 05:39:15 PM
Wiki says 3 in 1,000 for standard lab test. So that looks alarming as not an insignificant difference.

You could certainly make an argument against a home test that measures antibody production, rather than the actual presence of the virus, because 8% of the people who have the virus haven't developed the antibodies for it yet.

The argument then becomes one of weighing the benefits of increased testing against the drawback the people will rely on this test, rather than a lab test, to deem themselves "clean."  I don't know enough facts to weigh in on that argument.

But this is an argument about the type of home test that should be allowed, not whether the government should roll back all home testing because people can't be trusted to know the truth about their own health.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2012, 06:35:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 05:39:15 PM
Wiki says 3 in 1,000 for standard lab test. So that looks alarming as not an insignificant difference.

You could certainly make an argument against a home test that measures antibody production, rather than the actual presence of the virus, because 8% of the people who have the virus haven't developed the antibodies for it yet.

The argument then becomes one of weighing the benefits of increased testing against the drawback the people will rely on this test, rather than a lab test, to deem themselves "clean."  I don't know enough facts to weigh in on that argument.

But this is an argument about the type of home test that should be allowed, not whether the government should roll back all home testing because people can't be trusted to know the truth about their own health.

Agreed.

Though I think Seedster only complained about home HIV testing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 06:29:59 PM
Only bit I added above is that it does look like home testing has a higher chance of telling individuals they don't have the disease when they do.

This type of home test, yes.  The blood sample home test doesn't appear to have that problem.  However, this test is a lot easier and faster (as well as less painful), so it may be that it will test a lot more people and the benefits of the 92% accuracy on true positives outweigh the drawbacks of the 8% false negative.  As I say above, i don't have the kind of info needed to make that determination.  Some people who do have such knowledge are strongly in favor of this testing, though.

Anthony Fauci and Robert Gallo weigh in as part of this story: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/health/oraquick-at-home-hiv-test-wins-fda-approval.html?_r=1
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 06:37:37 PM

There is home HIV testing that takes blood and then has it sent off to a lab.  That would have the same drawbacks as any other kind of home testing.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2012, 06:40:07 PM
Anthony Fauci and Robert Gallo weigh in as part of this story: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/health/oraquick-at-home-hiv-test-wins-fda-approval.html?_r=1

That's actually where I got the stat from.

Personally, I'll doubt I'd turn to this test as 8% error isn't really worth basing my health on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2012, 06:42:16 PM

There is home HIV testing that takes blood and then has it sent off to a lab.  That would have the same drawbacks as any other kind of home testing.

I already mentioned that - however, given Seedster's objection, I don't think he was aware of that.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 06:42:27 PM
Personally, I'll doubt I'd turn to this test as 8% error isn't really worth basing my health on.

This, of course, could be completely irrational - but knowing there is easy access to better testing methods, I can't see why I wouldn't avail myself of those.

CountDeMoney

My concerns were the lack of a context of a clinical support network surrounding such a home test, as I already wrote earlier--

Quotethe attendant clinical alternatives, future treatment plans, the risk assessment and education on how to reduce the public safety risk, the attendant health issues that impact the individual such as sex partners, pregnancy, and the variety of future medical implications of HIV, as well as the overall dealing with the behavioral and psychosocial impact of a having a socially stigmatizing health condition

--as opposed to, say, finding out your cholesterol level.

But hey, Languish wants to deal with its HIV on its own with a brochure.  Fuck it, have fun with your AIDS, fellas.  ITS ALL ABOUT MAH FREEDOM

garbon

Actually they'd be more likely to develop AIDS if they didn't get tested.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 07:59:56 PM
Actually they'd be more likely to develop AIDS if they didn't get tested.

No, they'd develop AIDS without the appropriate treatment plan and clinical guidance--which is apparently optional.

garbon

Well yes people should be free to live or die as they choose.

CountDeMoney

With cancer, sure.  With a communicable condition with distinct public health risks, not so much.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 08:05:49 PM
With cancer, sure.  With a communicable condition with distinct public health risks, not so much.

I don't really how it changes much if you have someone come into a clinic, get tested, get told the risks and then ignores it.

Besides, you've already plenty who do no testing at all. Don't see how restricting at home testing combats any of those real issues. And by real, I mean verifiable.

CountDeMoney

Yes, the "so why bother" argument.  Convincing.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2012, 08:05:49 PM
You can't reason with a homo when it comes to AIDS.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.