News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Post-Oil Middle East

Started by Queequeg, July 16, 2012, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

It looks like the Middle East is starting to lose it's relative position of oil dominance, and besides that the increasing importance of natural gas and renewables are likely to make budgets in the Petro-states based on $100/b untenable. 

Anyone read any interesting articles on the subject?  Have any predictions? Will Dubai and the other city-states of the UAE survive? 

Personally, I'm looking forward to massive Schadenfruede when the entire Arabian peninsula devolves in to Greater Somalia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Shale oil and Tar Sands are changing the nature of the oil industry. The premium we are willing to pay for avoid having to do business with the shits in the Mid East has made them worthwhile.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on July 16, 2012, 10:36:26 AM
It looks like the Middle East is starting to lose it's relative position of oil dominance, and besides that the increasing importance of natural gas and renewables are likely to make budgets in the Petro-states based on $100/b untenable. 

Anyone read any interesting articles on the subject?  Have any predictions? Will Dubai and the other city-states of the UAE survive? 

Personally, I'm looking forward to massive Schadenfruede when the entire Arabian peninsula devolves in to Greater Somalia.

Dubai will survive, they've invested that money to become the Hong Kong of the Middle East.  Very wise.  The rest of the states including Iraq and Syria will become like Africa.  Iran will probably survive, though it'll be thrown into chaos.  I have a feeling that few Americans will be interested in famine relief for Saudi Arabia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Most of the Gulf statelets seem to have done a good job of socking away savings in sovereign wealth funds.  They can go full trustifarian when they run out of oil.

The Minsky Moment

The shale boom doesn't change the fundamentals.  The ME still has enormous reserves, but more importantly, they are still the low cost producers due to cheap costs of extraction.  Shale and pre-salt offshore OTOH require high prices to break even.  So OPEC is still in the very nice position of being able to sell their entire quota for whatever the market will bear, and the new alternative sources of supply, are more setting a floor to prices than pushing them down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Why would other sources of oil make the ME poorer?  People love oil, so the more the merrier.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

And in a world of high oil prices, being a low-cost producer means it's almost all pure profit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2012, 11:44:40 AM
Why would other sources of oil make the ME poorer? 

It doesn't.  Other producers dump extra oil onto the market, the ME simply reduces their production in response.  Barrel prices stay as static as OPEC wants them to be. 

All shale production does is extend the ME's reserves, while draining ours.  Yay for us.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2012, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2012, 11:44:40 AM
Why would other sources of oil make the ME poorer? 

It doesn't.  Other producers dump extra oil onto the market, the ME simply reduces their production in response.  Barrel prices stay as static as OPEC wants them to be. 

All shale production does is extend the ME's reserves, while draining ours.  Yay for us.

:huh:

Because OPEC has been so effective at setting prices over the last 20 years?

The only OPEC producer with any ability to reduce their production is Saudi Arabia.  Everyone else is producing it as fast as they can (either because of technical problems, or to cover rising expenses).  Increasing ROTW production does lessen ME overall influence somewhat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

It's not going to happen; you might as well talk about a post-industrial America.  :rolleyes:

edit:
Oops my bad.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"