Amazon’s ambitious new push for same-day delivery will destroy local retail.

Started by jimmy olsen, July 13, 2012, 01:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

QuoteThe more and more people will switch to online shopping, the more and more people online retailers will employ. Storage clerks, customer support, administration, IT, software developers, service management, couriers..
And the less and less physical retailers will employ. A lot more people will lose jobs than will gain them. And thats not even the main issue at stake.

Quote from: Monoriu on July 13, 2012, 03:52:59 AM
Hey, you never know.  If there are fewer shops out there selling commodities, rent for retail space may go down.  This may encourage more retail shops that sell personal services and high-end products to enter the market. 
Possibly.
I suspect in my current city they have recently dropped the rents pretty low to compete with the results of their retarded lack of urban planning laws since the government dropped its retail space law a decade ago (this basically resulted in this city being the strangest thing on Earth, most of the shops are scattered far and wide along the main roads away from the city rather than in the city centre or in a few places outside of the centre)

In my home town however they refuse to recognise the writing on the wall and keep rents pretty high.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I buy commodities, like pre-packaged milk or detergent online.  But if I want to buy a camera or TV I still want to try it out before I pay.  Online shopping can't replace restaurants and Starbucks.  I still want to buy a lot of niche products that can't be found in online shops.  I still buy Japanese peaches from a physical location.  My wife still wants to examine each pack of vegetables she buys.  There is no way this change destroys local retail.  Change the landscape a bit, perhaps. 

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 13, 2012, 03:57:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2012, 03:48:26 AM
The more and more people will switch to online shopping, the more and more people online retailers will employ. Storage clerks, customer support, administration, IT, software developers, service management, couriers...

I'm skeptical that the numbers would offset the losses of the brick & mortar stores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ15vUjgqvw

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 13, 2012, 04:46:15 AM
Funny video, but not really worth posting three times.

that's the easiest way to remind the people here of the point I am trying to make.

Eddie Teach

Change is inevitable, yes. But it's not often pleasant and even when it is some aspects might be unfortunate. One side effect of the information revolution is that with all these super-efficient businesses running around, "full" employment is likely a pipe dream, barring massive government make-work programs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 13, 2012, 05:10:13 AM
Change is inevitable, yes. But it's not often pleasant and even when it is some aspects might be unfortunate. One side effect of the information revolution is that with all these super-efficient businesses running around, "full" employment is likely a pipe dream, barring massive government make-work programs.

Tamas doesn't care.  As long as there are a couple hundred million Slavs in need of Borscht he'll have a job.

CountDeMoney

Should be interesting how Amazon will do same-day delivery with no fucking US Postal Service.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 13, 2012, 03:57:51 AM
I suspect in my current city they have recently dropped the rents pretty low to compete with the results of their retarded lack of urban planning laws since the government dropped its retail space law a decade ago (this basically resulted in this city being the strangest thing on Earth, most of the shops are scattered far and wide along the main roads away from the city rather than in the city centre or in a few places outside of the centre)
That's actually pretty common in newer cities with room to expand.

At any rate, the death of town centres isn't a bad thing.  This is the 21st century.  There's no such thing as a community anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 06:50:08 AM
Should be interesting how Amazon will do same-day delivery with no fucking US Postal Service.
I'm sure there are other couriers, even in the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

:huh:  It would be even more interesting to see how Amazon would do same-day delivery *with* a fucking US Postal Service.

Habbaku

Hopefully, Amazon will simply replace the USPS and do all the delivery themselves.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2012, 02:52:53 PM

:huh:  It would be even more interesting to see how Amazon would do same-day delivery *with* a fucking US Postal Service.

They still cover more than FedEx or UPS.  Although FedEx and UPS are more capable with Adjacent Business services.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 07:53:42 AMThere's no such thing as a community anymore.

There absolutely is, and there are a few kinds; the communities of people who can afford to pay extra to live in a place that is a community; the communities of those on the economic margins, too poor to access the services that render communities less necessary; and communities of people who are far from the reaches of the technologies that render communities less necessary.

If Amazon is successful, communities will be destroyed - especially in places where community exists because it's the only real choice. But community will still exist for those too poor to access Amazons and amongst those who are willing and able to pay the premium to live in one.