News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Demographics

Started by Jacob, May 09, 2009, 05:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Anything that means more French teenagers/20somethings when I am in my 40s is a good thing. :)

Though hopefully the Eastern European birthrate will start to comeback at some point.  What about Ukrainian mailorder brides?  What about Czech supermodels?   :(
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 01:05:54 PM
Yeah it'd be pretty scary to see brown people replacing white people. :mellow:

Not at all.

The whole world should be like south africa. Then we would all be set free.

No. Wait. Most of us would live in horrible conditions.  :pinchL

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 09, 2009, 06:09:48 PM
:nelson: to the 'OMFG teh moozlums r gonna overrun teh euros coz theyre infertil' folks.

Russia though is very interesting.
Unless I read the story wrong Yuro caucasian are still below replacement rate.  Which means that Europe still will have to rely on immigration or population growth of immigrants to prevent bankruptcy of the pension system.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2009, 06:34:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2009, 06:11:39 PMDid they do any cross cutting of the birth data to see what portion was due to immigrants?

The article doesn't mention the data as a whole, but they mention that immigrants birthrates tend to end up the same as native populations after two generations and which proportion of the birth rates are by certain segments (though they don't give all the data).  They also mention that a not-insignificant amount of the unpredicted "bump" comes from (presumably native) women having children in their late 30s and 40s.

So I think they did take that into account, yeah.

Reading the article they dance around the issue and try to put a spin on it.  Given the impetus of the article if it was taken in to account the relevant numbers would be trumpeted.  Instead I suspect it's more of a Will Roger's Oklahoma and California paradox.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 01:05:54 PM
Yeah it'd be pretty scary to see brown people replacing white people. :mellow:

I don't care about that at all.  Just the loss of a culture or a nation or something.  Progressive Euroland replaced by a theocratic tyranny would be bad.  Progressive Euroland replaced by a browner progressive Euroland doesn't matter a bit.

Obviously people are not worried about westernized educated "brown" people have babies (like say if the Japanese had a sudden baby boom)...of course they typically do not reproduce at a higher rate than any other westernized educated person.  Well...nobody except the Slargos' of the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

We lose cultures all the time, who cares?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 03:49:22 PM
We lose cultures all the time, who cares?

People who are apart of those cultures obviously.

I know you are not stupid you went to Stanford so why do you need me to point out the obvious?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Are you a part of that culture?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 03:53:50 PM
Are you apart of that culture?

I feel that I am yes.  In any case I care about it alot.  My vanity lets me believe that the power of that culture will absorb any immigrants who come there or here regardless of their temporary birthrate lead though.

garbon

I didn't realize you were in Northern Europe. :o

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 03:56:17 PM
I didn't realize you were in Northern Europe. :o

I missed the part I claimed I was. :o

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2009, 06:35:04 PM
I missed the part I claimed I was. :o

Jacob's summary was about Northern Europe and you claimed you were part of the culture...and because you didn't specify, I had to assume that you meant Northern Europe.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2009, 10:46:01 PM
Jacob's summary was about Northern Europe and you claimed you were part of the culture...and because you didn't specify, I had to assume that you meant Northern Europe.

I said I thought I was part of the culture as they are other Western countries.  Then I said I care alot about those cultures (even if you deny that it is the case that we are all part of a common culture).  Ergo I think the world would suffer if they vanished so I would rather they didn't.

I am not sure how that meant I was standing on a bit of soil that was located in Northern Europe someplace.

Is it really that hard to comprehend what I am saying?  I almost think you are acting dense for some reason just to be an ass.

garbon

I think you're being an ass. You're acting as though our cultures aren't constantly changing and evolving. Freaking out over cultural changes is as useful as crying over the fact that the rain erodes the landscape.