Pants, dairy factory, etc. - Ultima is coming back

Started by Barrister, July 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Huh but Ultima was a hard core RPG it seems a particularly poor choice to try to create the next Angry Birds with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

What is Lord British' obsession with MMOs?  What a waste of talent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2012, 03:26:03 PM
What is Lord British' obsession with MMOs?  What a waste of talent.

Well, apparently, he did invent the entire term MMORPG, as well as write the first real MMO in Ultima Online.

Say what you will about the guy, but he wants to be a bit of a visionary.  I mean sure he could crank out a nice single-player RPG in the same vein as Ultima, but there are several of those out there already.

Hard to tell what he has in mind (or what EA has in mind), so we'll have to wait and see...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Since social and mobile games are bad, there's no chance of anything good ever being made in this 'Third Era'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on July 17, 2012, 07:06:44 PM
Since social and mobile games are bad, there's no chance of anything good ever being made in this 'Third Era'.
You might have a point.

The Traveller ipad game went into the dumpster.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2012, 07:13:19 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 17, 2012, 07:06:44 PM
You might have a point.

The Traveller ipad game went into the dumpster.

I am the biggest Traveller fan you will ever meet, and I knew it would never go anywhere.

Barrister

So, downloaded iOS Ultima over the weekend.

Have been unable to play for more than 2-3 minutes before losing signal with the servers. :thumbsdown:

Also, the fact it is an online game means I can not play it on my iPod on the commuter train.  Back to Ticket to Ride I guess.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2013, 03:35:18 PM
Also, the fact it is an online game means I can not play it on my iPod on the commuter train.  Back to Ticket to Ride I guess.
Say what?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 22, 2013, 02:42:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2013, 03:35:18 PM
Say what?

???

iPod <> iPhone.  WiFi only.

Ticket to Ride - the little board game iOS conversion I've been killing time with on the LRT the last several weeks.  I just moved over to TTR: Europe.

Neil

Ah.  I guess I wasn't keeping my i-devices straight.

Couldn't you just play it on your phone?

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 22, 2013, 09:11:04 PM
Ah.  I guess I wasn't keeping my i-devices straight.

Couldn't you just play it on your phone?

Since I have a circa 2010 work-issued Blackberry, no I could not.

Played a little bit more into the game.  All the references to the various virtues (this is a take-off on Ultima IV, remember) make me squee like Lettow.

I received a quest from Lady British. :bleeding:  Ah well, even if they had the rights to the name I don't think it would be right to have a Lord British with Garriott.

I really, really wanted to play this on something bigger than a 4" screen though.  But I'd have to wrestle the iPad away from the toddler.

Neil

I am shocked that you don't have an Apple phone.  Not just because it's you, but because most professionals are always lobbying their bosses for gay iPhones.

You know, it's shocking how many people I know give tablets to their children 3 and under.  Wouldn't it get all slobbery?

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2013, 04:23:10 PM
I am shocked that you don't have an Apple phone.  Not just because it's you, but because most professionals are always lobbying their bosses for gay iPhones.

You know, it's shocking how many people I know give tablets to their children 3 and under.  Wouldn't it get all slobbery?

Remember - I'm a public servant.  We have rules for that sort of thing.  When I started everyone was given Blackberrys.  Mine is on a 3 year term contract.

Since then the government shifted suppliers.  Now, you can get a BB or a iPhone.  But existing contracts are to be honoured.

So next spring... :shifty:

And we have wipes for the iPad. :mellow: