Main Menu

New York micro-appartments

Started by viper37, July 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 04:09:25 AM
Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2012, 04:08:32 AM
Sure we do, we just don't choose to live in NYC and problem solved. :P

I thought we were talking about the ambitious people, not rural bumpkins. Sorry.

:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 04:01:53 AM
So once again (as with gas prices, living costs etc.) it's the case of "Americans outraged, surprised at being forced to finally live in conditions comparable to other developed countries. Film at 11"  :rolleyes:

Who's outraged?

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 04:37:19 AM
So once again (as with gas prices, living costs etc.) it's the case of "Americans outraged, surprised at being forced to finally live in conditions comparable to other developed countries. Film at 11"  :rolleyes:

Who's outraged?

Americans, of course.  :rolleyes:

dps

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2012, 04:44:08 AM
Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 04:37:19 AM

Who's outraged?

Americans, of course.  :rolleyes:

The only thing approaching outrage that I've seen in this thread has been by non-Americans outraged that a 300 sq ft apartment would be considered small by American standards.  And that's generally been more surprise than outrage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 12, 2012, 05:04:21 AM
The only thing approaching outrage that I've seen in this thread has been by non-Americans outraged that a 300 sq ft apartment would be considered small by American standards.  And that's generally been more surprise than outrage.

Maybe because they're using the metric system, who knows;  300 sq ft is a fucking shoebox.  The knob of my dick wouldn't fit in there.

The Larch

For the record, 300 sq feet is 27.9 sq meters. It's not huge by any conceivable standard but for non permanent housing in a city it's ok. I lived in one for 6 months, turned out fine.

Josquius

Come to think of it...my current place might actually be smaller than that...And I find it too big for just me (though probally not quite big enough for two people, I call it a 1 1/2 person flat).

But meh, American averages really should not be applied to New York considering most of the US has the population density of the moon and what people there are live in mansions whilst New York...follows rather different rules.
The size we're talking about here is more than livable, even long term for an eternally single person, especially with the layout they propose (the layout of my place sucks balls).
Though it will make sitcoms difficult...
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2012, 05:49:14 AM
Quote from: dps on July 12, 2012, 05:04:21 AM

Maybe because they're using the metric system, who knows;  300 sq ft is a fucking shoebox.  The knob of my dick wouldn't fit in there.
that's a sign you need to go see a doctor...

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Larch on July 12, 2012, 05:52:46 AM
For the record, 300 sq feet is 27.9 sq meters. It's not huge by any conceivable standard but for non permanent housing in a city it's ok. I lived in one for 6 months, turned out fine.

this.

you should see what they do with 22 m² at Ikea. Now that's a frightenly small sardinecan only fit for asians

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 12, 2012, 06:21:46 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2012, 05:49:14 AM
The knob of my dick wouldn't fit in there.
that's a sign you need to go see a doctor...

"Hey doc, whenever I get a hard-on I pass out."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2012, 06:04:48 AM
Come to think of it...my current place might actually be smaller than that...And I find it too big for just me (though probally not quite big enough for two people, I call it a 1 1/2 person flat).

But meh, American averages really should not be applied to New York considering most of the US has the population density of the moon and what people there are live in mansions whilst New York...follows rather different rules.
The size we're talking about here is more than livable, even long term for an eternally single person, especially with the layout they propose (the layout of my place sucks balls).
Though it will make sitcoms difficult...

Did you guys not read the other part of the infographic? Bloomberg has a 12,500 square feet townhouse. It's not in the middle of nowhere, it's not in the suburbs. It's in the middle of everything.

That's the BS of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on July 12, 2012, 03:45:38 AM
My first place on my own was roughly of that size. It was liveable, I even got to make a few parties in there. And there was much less to clean than in bigger appartments.
Now that I looked at the floorplan in the article, it actually reminds me of my own first apartment.  It was a studio of very similar dimensions, just slightly bigger.  The biggest difference is that the kitchen was enclosed and jutted out to the side of the rectangle, while here it's part of the rectangle.  Near the end I paid $1600 a month for it, and it was on the other side of the river (just) in Jersey City.  The prices in Manhattan can get twice as high or even more, which is why I think the biggest challenge would be finding a way to offer it for $2k a month rather than finding renters at that rate. 

This is a very smart initiate by Bloomberg, though, because NYC rent control policies pretty much obliterated the part of the real estate segment that young non-millionaire professionals who don't want to room with two strangers look for.

Eddie Teach

A mansion for fleas and roaches.

@GF- Bloomberg is a more successful Donald Trump, he was bored with just being a rich dude so decided to try his hand at politics.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

NYC is really unique, though.  This is a city that really mismanaged its housing policy, and as a result people like me who don't make well into six figures are pushed out.  I would've probably left anyway, because I can't stand NYC, but my preferences didn't even factor into it, because the financial option to live by myself in Manhattan just wasn't there.