What is the most evil corporation in the world?

Started by Martinus, July 11, 2012, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on July 11, 2012, 10:22:27 AM
Any company that you know the name of and is a publicly listed company in a western country is infinitely less evil the "Achmed and Mustaffas Slave Emporium of Khartoum".

What about companies that routinely do business with Achmed and Mustaffa?  Like CNPC? :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2012, 10:28:38 AM
Any company that you know the name of and is a publicly listed company in a western country is infinitely less evil the "Achmed and Mustaffas Slave Emporium of Khartoum".

What about companies that routinely do business with Achmed and Mustaffa?  Like CNPC? :ph34r:

CNPC doesn't do business with Achmed and Mustaffa, they import their own slave labour from China :contract:

CNPC is not a publicly listed western company and not as bad as Achmed and Mustaffa.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Though it is important to remember that CNOOC and CPAC are two different companies. CNOOC to the best of my knowledge is a well run reputable company. The reason to be disgusted by CPAC is not what they are doing in Alberta but what they are doing in Sudan and Burma (and China of course).

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2012, 10:28:06 AM
Kind of silly to ascribe metaphysical qualities to a piece of paper on file in Wilmington.

Viking has a pretty good point as well.  We in the West have the luxury of being outraged by such acts of wickedness like efforts to minimze tax liability and regulatory burdens.  Not that we should stand up and applaud but on the "evil" scale it is more like mini-Me.

It is important to remember that the people who for and at the great multinational corporations are almost exclusively people like you and me who live in the western culture sphere (even those who did not start in it) and they share our general values and need to be able to go home at the end of their work day and look their social worker wife, grade school son who just learned about pollution and high school daughter who volunteers for the WWF and Amnesty in the eye and not be hated.

What is lacking is the evil bit. The world abounds with people cutting corners making bad decisions that they thought would turn out right. Even the Bernie Madoff and Allen Stanford seem to have made bad decisions and compounded the harm by making more bad ones to try and fix the problems created by the first ones. LexCorp and Omni Consumer Products don't exist in reality.

Barrister

I am familiar with CNOOC, but not CPAC.  Googling comes up with varous hits, none of which appear relevant.

And Martinus didn't limit his question to public companies or western companies, which is why the company I am nominating is neither.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Viking has a pretty good point as well.

He's also a mindless automaton of the petroleum-industrial complex, so his opinion is suspect and most likely corporate policy.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2012, 10:47:19 AM
I am familiar with CNOOC, but not CPAC.  Googling comes up with varous hits, none of which appear relevant.

And Martinus didn't limit his question to public companies or western companies, which is why the company I am nominating is neither.

CPAC was supposed to be typed CNPC  :blush:

Zanza

Viking

Zanza

The legal entity still exists. ;) But you are right, it's evil days are over.

Neil

sigh... I reject the premise of this question simply because it doesn't define it's terms

- what is a corporation?
- what is evil?
- does evil lie in the intent or the outcome?

I can be almost certain that any company that gets mentioned here is certainly a world leader in it's field and definitively not most evil in the world.

The corporations that own and operate slaves, deliberately break any law limiting their activities and own countries or are governments don't have names or logos or are listed on the Dow Jones. But certainly the list of the most evil corporations in the world must include PLA, Kim Jong Un and Assc., SLORC, Al-Qaeda, The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps etc.etc.

Comparing these truly evil groups with a company that makes high tech products that reduce pestcide use, antibiotic use and helps farmers achieve higher and better quality yields is just silly.

Ignorant and uneducated Hippies don't get to tell me who is evil and who is not.

Meh.  Twisting the laws and society of the civilized world to suit their evil ends is a different kind of evil, but it's still evil.

Besides, the slave emporium doesn't affect white folks.  It's more evil to do evil to civilized people than it is to enslave the lower races of the Third World.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Kind of silly to ascribe metaphysical qualities to a piece of paper on file in Wilmington.

Viking has a pretty good point as well.  We in the West have the luxury of being outraged by such acts of wickedness like efforts to minimze tax liability and regulatory burdens.  Not that we should stand up and applaud but on the "evil" scale it is more like mini-Me.

We ascribe these metaphysical qualities to other people, and corporations are legally people.  I was going to say Union Carbide.  You know, for killing those thousands of people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

I'm kinda surprised nobody's pointed out Chiquita Brands.  Having a whole class of dysfunctional governments named for your business is certainly a notch in the Evil Belt. :contract:

I will admit, though, that Monsanto was the first company to pop into my head.  That shit's a blight on three continents.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Most incompetent? Any American power company. That one on the east coast especially.

Most evil... Maybe Target with the way it treats its workers. Or Meijers. Nice stores, shitty management. Notice I didn't put Wally World there. ALL HAIL WAL MART.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive