News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gamersgate vs. Steam question

Started by Martinus, September 22, 2012, 03:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm kinda annoyed with Steam and all its silly requirements (like always logging on/running a background programme to run a game I bought etc.) so considering moving to Gammersgate as the Paradox game provider. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Is it like Steam in that you need to be logged on to some client of theirs in order to be able to play games you bought or is it more of a bona fide online game store?

Syt

You only download a small installer file per game that then takes care of the rest. No need to log in or anything once the game is installed.

There's non-Paradox games, though, that are sold on GG (say, Empire: Total War, Torchlight II, etc.) that will nevertheless require Steam. Check each game's DRM section.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2012, 04:09:22 AM
You only download a small installer file per game that then takes care of the rest. No need to log in or anything once the game is installed.

There's non-Paradox games, though, that are sold on GG (say, Empire: Total War, Torchlight II, etc.) that will nevertheless require Steam. Check each game's DRM section.

Thanks!

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2012, 03:53:13 AM
I'm kinda annoyed with Steam and all its silly requirements (like always logging on/running a background programme to run a game I bought etc.)

Check your config.sys and autoexec.bat. You should be able to load Steam high.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=51119&view=previous

You can use Phoenix to open and run (and pirate) steam games without logging in. It still has to run in the background iirc.

QuotePhoenix is a Steam content manager that has special functions for working with (Gold-) Source modifications and games. Moreover, it has its own scripting engine to prepare games in the way you want and it also can update GCF and NCF files.

With some handy additions it works similar to UCL, CF Toolbox and GCFPrep.

Features:
Works with all Source and GoldSource games and modifications.
Has a special technology of preparing GCF content (based on Vit_amiN's works and ideas) and (since 1.4 beta 2) you can make your own way how to process the game and what to unpack!
Offers you an ability to set video and audio options for (Gold-)Source games without launching
There's an option to instantly launch either map or save for a selected mod.
Has an ability to unpack and create GCF-files from SID (so called "SID2GCF").
Many other useful features thanks to plugins support (Delphi and C++ headers are available).
(1.4 beta 2) Scripts-based customization of some processes.
Skin support (thanks to SkinCrafter Library). Download it @ Update Centre

Changes (1.5 RC2 -> 1.6 alpha 0):
Absolutlely new main window
CSD files unpacking
Expect more features to come
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

You are running Win 7 64 on a mac. 2-3 executable running in the background shouldn't affect your performances. If it does, buy more ram.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Vricklund

Quote from: The Brain on September 22, 2012, 04:17:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2012, 03:53:13 AM
I'm kinda annoyed with Steam and all its silly requirements (like always logging on/running a background programme to run a game I bought etc.)

Check your config.sys and autoexec.bat. You should be able to load Steam high.
Heh. Made me chuckle. :nerd: