And we're back!

Main Menu

Early American Accents

Started by Queequeg, July 10, 2012, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 11, 2012, 03:45:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2012, 10:02:06 PM

Since British Dialects vary widely how can you say this?  Anyway, what is typically said is that American English is closer to Elizabethan English in tone and sound then modern London English.
Because they used to vary even wider still?

I'm failing to see your point here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PJL

I've read somewhere that the Westcountry accent / dialect  is closest to the Old English one, which given Wessex domination of England in the 10-11th centuries is probably not that surpriseing.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on July 11, 2012, 02:40:36 AM
Wouldn't there be some influence from immigrants from non-English-speaking countries?

Absolutely, but it's hard to track exactly what the influences are on American English.  They seem to  have had more influence on vocabulary than on spelling and pronounciation, and very little on grammer.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2012, 11:58:58 AM

Since British Dialects vary widely how can you say this?  Anyway, what is typically said is that American English is closer to Elizabethan English in tone and sound then modern London English.

That Britain has varied dialects doesn't mean British English can't be closer to English as it used to be than American is- the same broad dialects have a basis in history.

██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2012, 06:14:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2012, 11:58:58 AM

That Britain has varied dialects doesn't mean British English can't be closer to English as it used to be than American is- the same broad dialects have a basis in history.

Huh?  All dialects have a basis in history. 

Josquius

Quote from: dps on July 12, 2012, 09:04:07 AM
I mean a direct line.
1000 years ago the dialect of one area  had similar, but bigger, differences to that of another area,
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2012, 09:51:23 AM
Quote from: dps on July 12, 2012, 09:04:07 AM
I mean a direct line.
1000 years ago the dialect of one area  had similar, but bigger, differences to that of another area,

And so does American English!  They didn't go through a phase of speaking Swahili.  Spellus might be able to remember this, but I seem to recall that languages change more in their place of origin then where they are imported.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2012, 10:40:57 AM
And so does American English!  They didn't go through a phase of speaking Swahili.  Spellus might be able to remember this, but I seem to recall that languages change more in their place of origin then where they are imported.
American English however has only exised within modern times. British English can be traced back to the dark ages.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

:frusty:  Are you really this dense?  It didn't just spring into being on fine day.  They can both trace their lineage to the dark ages.  One line is not longer then the other.

Josquius

It didn't just spring into being one day, it took a while, but as a distinct American dialect it is a lot more modern than distinct dialects of various parts of the UK.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 13, 2012, 04:24:33 AM
It didn't just spring into being one day, it took a while, but as a distinct American dialect it is a lot less modern than distinct dialects of various parts of the UK.

Wait what?  Weren't you arguing the opposite yesterday?  Either way, any argument that one lineage is older then the other is silly.  It's like a pair of brothers arguing who has the longest family tree.

Ed Anger

Just give it up Raz. Its no use.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

er..............American English is British English if you go back far enough  :hmm:

My understanding is that British English has changed more quickly than American English in the past couple of centuries. But that understanding is based on articles in the popular press, I cannot claim to have examined even the secondary sources.

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 14, 2012, 09:35:02 PM
er..............American English is British English if you go back far enough  :hmm:

My understanding is that British English has changed more quickly than American English in the past couple of centuries. But that understanding is based on articles in the popular press, I cannot claim to have examined even the secondary sources.

That is also my understanding from the popular press--which I find interesting since I would expect the US to be subject to more change since we have had so much immigration. Perhaps the larger size of the country made it more resistant to changes?

Obviously the languages diverged by the time of the earliest recordings, but does anyone know when the earliest written records indicate that the languages were different. I know there are times when I have trouble understanding English accents, so surely people would have noted the odd speech of their visitors.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Look. People live in a small concentrated area with lots of variation in dialect. Those people evolve dialect within themselves and between dialects often. Language evolves due to frequent contact and mixing.

Other people go to America and hike over the mountains. never see another same-language speaker with a different dialect other than once a couple generations.

Whose dialect changes faster?

UK English is the more modern one and US is more like it used to be. Both share the same roots and are the same "age". Where's the damn quibble? Why go against all the major linguists in academia? It seems obvious.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers