News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Early American Accents

Started by Queequeg, July 10, 2012, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Do we have any idea when the various American dialects and accents developed? Watching John Adams.  Almost the entire cast has some kind of British accent, but that's likely because of casting and that Americans associate British accents so strongly with Education that a Yorkshire plumber sounds like Milton to American ears.

Also, what kind of accent does King George have in this?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

They had regular British accents. Just the accents changed much more slowly than they did back in Avalon.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

I like Abigail Adams; seems like a good role model. :)

I plan to read the exchange of letters between her, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson.

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Queequeg on July 10, 2012, 02:42:19 PM
You mean Albion?

I guess. I use them more or less interchangeably. Even though one is fictional.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on July 10, 2012, 02:36:26 PM
Do we have any idea when the various American dialects and accents developed? Watching John Adams.  Almost the entire cast has some kind of British accent, but that's likely because of casting and that Americans associate British accents so strongly with Education that a Yorkshire plumber sounds like Milton to American ears.

I have always imagined George III to be the first of his line to have an English accent, rather than a German one ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Yeah, but surely it would be some kind of posh accent?  George had something of an Irish accent almost.  It was weird. 

alfred russel

Early recordings I've heard of American accents aren't so different than those today. I remember Lettow posting a recording of southern Civil War veterans and they wouldn't sound out of place today. I doubt the bulk of divergence took place from 1776 to ~1850--a significant amount probably started before then. Which would make sense in light of the changes that took place in England 1620-1776.

I've read that until the civil war, some isolated southerners were speaking elizabethan english, but that the war led them to be pulled out of the mountains.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Queequeg

Quote from: alfred russel on July 10, 2012, 03:08:04 PM
I've read that until the civil war, some isolated southerners were speaking elizabethan english, but that the war led them to be pulled out of the mountains.
Mountains foster linguistic diversity, they don't freeze things.  It's likely that they came over speaking a northern English or Scots dialect that maintained "thou", which several do even today. This probably would have sounded Elizabethan to Civil War officers familiar with the King James Bible and Shakespear, but I'd bet my life that their dialect had way more French, West African, Indian and Spanish influence than anything the Bard of Avon would recognize as his own dialect. 

Queequeg

Hmm.  It would be very interesting to see what English dialects contributed the most to American English. 

CountDeMoney

Gordon S. Wood wrote about it.

Warspite

Quote from: Queequeg on July 10, 2012, 02:36:26 PM

A Yorkshire plumber is probably closer to Milton that most modern English accents, especially RP ('BBC English') which is a creation of the industrial age.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

dps

Quote from: Queequeg on July 10, 2012, 03:59:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 10, 2012, 03:08:04 PM
Mountains foster linguistic diversity, they don't freeze things.  It's likely that they came over speaking a northern English or Scots dialect that maintained "thou", which several do even today. This probably would have sounded Elizabethan to Civil War officers familiar with the King James Bible and Shakespear, but I'd bet my life that their dialect had way more French, West African, Indian and Spanish influence than anything the Bard of Avon would recognize as his own dialect. 

French, West African, Indian and Spanish influences among people living in the southern Appalachians?  (I assume that he was primarily referring to people in that area, given the bit about "pulled out of the mountains".)

Phillip V

Perhaps Thomas Jefferson hated Alexander Hamilton because the latter had a West Indian accent?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Queequeg on July 10, 2012, 03:59:37 PM
Mountains foster linguistic diversity, they don't freeze things.

They foster diversity by freezing things. It's not just mountains anyway. It's also distance and frequency of contact with others.