Started by Queequeg, May 09, 2009, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Phillip V on May 09, 2009, 02:05:06 PM
What I don't get is America put the Japanese into internment camps during WWII, but do not do the same to Muslims now. The difference is... Seriously? I think this leads to a larger point.

I smell weakness in the air.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on May 09, 2009, 01:20:27 PM
So the difference between Al-Queda and the Nazis is that....Al Queda kills civilians?
AMERICAN civilians.  The number of American civilians killed by the German military was probably rather low.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on May 09, 2009, 07:42:27 PM
Particular, as in spies with English language skills who could infiltrate most levels of American society?
I thought you were talking about POWs, not spies?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Americans are very sensitive when their civilians get hurt. See: U-Boat warfare in WW1. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2009, 09:55:23 AM
Americans are very sensitive when their civilians get hurt. See: U-Boat warfare in WW1. :(
Those civilians had it coming.  Anybody who sails to Europe on a ship full of weapons, during a war where submarines are sinking everything they see, deserves a Darwin Award.

Strix

Quote from: Neil on May 10, 2009, 09:57:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2009, 09:55:23 AM
Those civilians had it coming.  Anybody who sails to Europe on a ship full of weapons, during a war where submarines are sinking everything they see, deserves a Darwin Award.

I suppose we should ignore all the civilian ships sunk off the coasts of North Carolina and New Jersey. Hell, the Germans sank a lighthouse and some light ships.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Strix on May 10, 2009, 02:50:30 PM
I suppose we should ignore all the civilian ships sunk off the coasts of North Carolina and New Jersey. Hell, the Germans sank a lighthouse and some light ships.
During WWI?

Strix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2009, 03:00:28 PM
Quote from: Strix on May 10, 2009, 02:50:30 PM
During WWI?

Yes, you can look up the antics of U-151 and similar subs during WWI. I'll find you the dates of the lighthouse/light ship incidents because I cannot remember them offhand. The lighthouse was a platform on stilts on top of a shoal. I think it just got destroyed via deck guns. The light ships replaced it, and so became a target.

EDIT: Diamond Shoals was first lightship sunk by Germans in 1918. So, maybe the lighthouse and other lightship was WWII.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Habbaku

Quote from: Strix on May 10, 2009, 03:10:49 PM
Yes, you can look up the antics of U-151

Wasn't even activated until after the USA was in the war.   :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Strix

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2009, 03:20:53 PM
Quote from: Strix on May 10, 2009, 03:10:49 PM
Yes, you can look up the antics of U-151

Wasn't even activated until after the USA was in the war.   :lol:

Really? You got to be kidding?!? How odd that the Germans wouldn't start attacking US shipping off the US coast until after they became involved in the war. I am glad you pointed that out to us all.

I am not sure why though?

Habbaku

You may wish to re-read what I posted, though I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse because you have been exposed in your error.  My statement is that the ship you referred to (U-151) wasn't put on active duty until after the USA was at war, not that the Germans only started attacking the US coastline until after the declaration.

I would say I am not sure why you'd deliberately misinterpret what I posted, but know very well why you did.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2009, 03:47:42 PM
You may wish to re-read what I posted, though I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse because you have been exposed in your error.  My statement is that the ship you referred to (U-151) wasn't put on active duty until after the USA was at war, not that the Germans only started attacking the US coastline until after the declaration.

I would say I am not sure why you'd deliberately misinterpret what I posted, but know very well why you did.
Your statement was that U151 went on active duty after the US was in the war.  That's either completely unrelated to what Strix posted or you assumed (incorrectly) that Strix was pointing out other examples of Uboats attacking the US before the declaration of war.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2009, 03:51:55 PM
Your statement was that U151 went on active duty after the US was in the war.  That's either completely unrelated to what Strix posted or you assumed (incorrectly) that Strix was pointing out other examples of Uboats attacking the US before the declaration of war.

What do you believe his statement towards Neil about "ignor[ing] all  the civilian ships sunk off the coasts of North Carolina and New Jersey. Hell, the Germans sank a lighthouse and some light ships." is referencing, then?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2009, 03:55:06 PM
What do you believe his statement towards Neil about "ignor[ing] all  the civilian ships sunk off the coasts of North Carolina and New Jersey. Hell, the Germans sank a lighthouse and some light ships." is referencing, then?
Syt: Americans get pissed when civilians are killed.

Neil: The passengers on the Lusitania were retards.

Strix: The Krauts sank other civilian ships besides the Lusitania.