"A Farewell to Arms" to be published with 47 alternate endings.

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2012, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Scipio

Should've stuck to short stories.  It's a lot harder to successfully write a shitty short story.  Harder to fool yourself.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Slate one ups CdM :lol:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2012/07/hemingway_wrote_47_endings_for_a_farewell_to_arms_but_for_the_great_gatsby_fitzgerald_wrote_48_.html
Quote...
In the wake of this report, scholars and family members of F. Scott Fitzgerald dropped a second bombshell on the literary world, revealing no fewer than 47 alternate endings to the Jazz Age master's own chef d'oeuvre, The Great Gatsby. The recent discovery brings the grand total number of Gatsby endings to 48—or, as one Fitzgerald expert put it, "one more ending than Hemingway, a lazy man and lesser talent, ever wrote." Slate managed to acquire all 47 of Fitzgerald's foiled attempts; the endings, unaltered, are reproduced below.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on July 07, 2012, 09:31:29 PM
Should've stuck to short stories.  It's a lot harder to successfully write a shitty short story.  Harder to fool yourself.

Short stories fit his style much better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Who's Hemingway?

Whoever he is, he can't compete with GRRM.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Awww look, Siegy's had half a Mike's Hard Lemonade, and has started posting drunk again.  And it's not even the weekend yet.  Yay for us.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 11, 2012, 10:45:15 PM
Who's Hemingway?

Whoever he is, he can't compete with GRRM.

Did you know that one of his novels, For whom the bell tolls, was the favorite novel of John McCain?  It's not Hemingway's best, but you might like it.  It's about the Civil War in Spain.  Despite the weird use of language (Hemingway tries to imitate Spanish formal and informal with English thees and thous), there are some really interesting parts.  Such as the description of the Republican Massacre, the bravery and stoicism of the bullfighters, and the desperate doomed mission the lead character is to undertake.  Also some of the bad guys are Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017