News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raz to build a new PC

Started by Razgovory, July 09, 2012, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2012, 11:35:41 AM
I'm not sure SSD is out of Raz's budget.  You can get a 64 GB Crucial SSD for $75.  Considering that SSD gives you an enormous performance edge, probably even more than RAM once you have enough of it, I think it's worth it.  With 64 GB, you have enough space to install Windows and half a dozen games on it easily.
I have a SSD in the office and been disapointed by it.  I just bought the new OCZ Vertex 4 for home, but haven't moved Windows on it yet, but it's apparently the fastest SSD out there.  239$ for 240gb.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 10, 2012, 11:36:46 AM
Has anyone thrown in the cost of a Windows license? Figure on paying for that too.
Well, he could install Ubuntu Linux on his dad's computer and re-use the Windows license.
Or he could cheat and install Win7 on his new computer.  Windows 8 will only be out in october.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I want you all to know I appreciate you input.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2012, 11:51:20 AM
Wow.  How ill I know it's big enough to fit stuff in?

Motherboards are mostly standardized sizes, stuff like drives are almost completely standardized to fit in either 2.5" or 3.5" expansion bays.

If you can swing it, get a full tower ATX case:

1) At worst, you'll need motherboard risers to mount the motherboard, but they should be included with the case.
2) While everything should fit in a mid-tower, with a full tower, you won't have to, say, twist your hand in weird ways to access stuff near the power supply or drive bays.
3) You can put more space between components, meaning less heat buildup across components and less work for your cooling fans.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

MOre room would be appreciated, since I'm not entirely sure how to do all this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2012, 08:33:19 PM
MOre room would be appreciated, since I'm not entirely sure how to do all this.

From personal experience, the worst part is mounting the motherboard, with runner-up being a tie between lining up a video card to both its port and the case slot and wrestling the cables into some shape where they're not completely blocking the motherboard.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Yeah, I recall getting the motherboard to fit the case without binding to be a bit of a bitch.  Another thing I found to be a bitch is installing the CPU fan.  For whatever reason, possibly because the sticker was covering one of the holes on the mobo, I just couldn't do it and have confidence in it.  Eventually I did it, but two years later it turns out that I didn't really do it after all, and that my CPU fan was not properly secured all that time.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2012, 10:25:57 PM
Yeah, I recall getting the motherboard to fit the case without binding to be a bit of a bitch.  Another thing I found to be a bitch is installing the CPU fan.  For whatever reason, possibly because the sticker was covering one of the holes on the mobo, I just couldn't do it and have confidence in it.  Eventually I did it, but two years later it turns out that I didn't really do it after all, and that my CPU fan was not properly secured all that time.

What do you mean "Binding" it?  I thought it fit on a little frame that you screwed in.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2012, 12:33:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2012, 10:25:57 PM

What do you mean "Binding" it?  I thought it fit on a little frame that you screwed in.
Yeah, but it takes 9 (?) screws.  Unless they're all on exactly the same plane, some little bending may be involved.

Razgovory

Oh, you meant "Bending".  Bending and Binding are two different things.  One involves ropes.

Darth Wagtaros

Raz shouldn't use Linux.  He should just get a Windows 7 license.
PDH!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 12, 2012, 09:29:10 AM

1) At worst, you'll need motherboard risers to mount the motherboard, but they should be included with the case.
2) While everything should fit in a mid-tower, with a full tower, you won't have to, say, twist your hand in weird ways to access stuff near the power supply or drive bays.
3) You can put more space between components, meaning less heat buildup across components and less work for your cooling fans.

Yeah, this right here.  Having more space makes things a lot easier.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 17, 2012, 06:24:52 PM

I've had a Cooler Master Stacker through two builds now, and completely agree.  Especially for a first computer build, having things all fit properly without having to access tiny areas or concerns oneself with air flow is a big advantage in keeping down the frustration.

Someone not in a hurry can wait for a sale on something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 the CM HAF 932, and probably get it for under $100 in the next three months or so.  That's what I did, and that was the best computer purchase I ever made.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2012, 10:50:39 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 17, 2012, 06:24:52 PM

I've had a Cooler Master Stacker through two builds now, and completely agree.  Especially for a first computer build, having things all fit properly without having to access tiny areas or concerns oneself with air flow is a big advantage in keeping down the frustration.

Someone not in a hurry can wait for a sale on something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 the CM HAF 932, and probably get it for under $100 in the next three months or so.  That's what I did, and that was the best computer purchase I ever made.

Sometimes there's nothing to say. Sometimes, all you can do is hug another man. :hug:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2012, 10:50:39 AM

I've been keeping one eye on that case.  I think my 1999 vintage InWin full tower may be reaching the end of its useful life as my main workstation case.  The airflow just isn't good enough for heavy-duty hardware.  Its only working now because the machine is an i3 with only a basic video card and I have all the hard drives in a rack with a separate fan.  That case has the potential to take me along for another 15 years.