News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The greatest generation (Actors & WW2)

Started by 11B4V, July 08, 2012, 10:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2012, 03:34:28 PM
IIRC, I only had one male teacher that had served in any war, and he had been a medic in Vietnam.  Hell of a teacher and a really nice guy, but you could tell the war screwed him up.  I had several ex-hippies as teachers, though  :glare:

Everybody kept telling those hippies to get a job.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Also becoming a teacher at that time was a good way to avoid being drafted. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Good thread. There are some amazing and courageous stories here.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2012, 06:47:44 AM

I think some of them stayed and got their Masters degrees just to continue getting their deferment. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2012, 06:47:44 AM

We had one teacher at our high school who told his students that the only reason he went to college was to avoid the draft, and the only reason he majored in education was that he figured it was the only major he could take and not flunk out.