And we're back!

Main Menu

New computer build

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2012, 04:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2012, 10:00:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2012, 03:38:38 PM
I don't care much about overclocking, I think computer components in this day and age are far too unreliable to push it.
Actually, computer components in this day and age support overclocking better than 5 years ago.

What you need however is a good power supply and good fans (default fans aren't usually that good on CPUs and video cards).
They may support it better, but computer parts are still in the 1970ies GM quality era.  I've had way too many computer parts fail on me to be confident in stressing my system even more.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2012, 11:28:51 AM
They may support it better, but computer parts are still in the 1970ies GM quality era.  I've had way too many computer parts fail on me to be confident in stressing my system even more.
As I said, you need good fans, with good thermal past.  And a good power supply.
I've overclocked my pcs for years without problems.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

My problem with going laptop route is the pain of upgrading parts if even possible.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2012, 10:00:57 AM
Actually, computer components in this day and age support overclocking better than 5 years ago.

What you need however is a good power supply and good fans (default fans aren't usually that good on CPUs and video cards).

Seconded.  Back in the day, you could forget about reliably overclocking anything other than a Coppermine Celeron.  These days, the processor manufacturers are keen to allow overclocking, since most reviewers include overclocking capabilities in their benchmarking.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on July 10, 2012, 07:46:40 PM
My problem with going laptop route is the pain of upgrading parts if even possible.

Fair enough.  But how often do you wind up upgrading parts? 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I've done it a few times on my now near end of life PC.  If I'd only had a laptop, I would probably have had to seek out a new machine sooner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2012, 10:25:30 AM
I've done it a few times on my now near end of life PC.  If I'd only had a laptop, I would probably have had to seek out a new machine sooner.

Well, yeah.  I'm not suggesting the "laptop as desktop replacement" if you're watching every last penny.  But if you're going to spend $1500 on a desktop you're not watching every last penny.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:23:18 AM

Well, I'm now actually leaning towards upgrade path.  I think my Core i7 920 CPU is still fine, after I ungimped it, even it's two generations behind.  I think getting a real SSD and not a 30 GB toy, as well as another 6 GB of RAM, would be sufficient for quite some time.

Razgovory

what is the current generation?  I lost track when they shifted to multi cores. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:35:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2012, 10:25:30 AM

Well, yeah.  I'm not suggesting the "laptop as desktop replacement" if you're watching every last penny.  But if you're going to spend $1500 on a desktop you're not watching every last penny.

I hardly watch every last penny. <_<

My thought was related to lifetime use as just because you by a top of the line model right now, that doesn't mean you want to repeat the process in a couple years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2012, 12:34:09 AM
what is the current generation?  I lost track when they shifted to multi cores.
So did I, think were a lot easier when numbers were involved.  The latest generation is Ivy Bridge, then one before is Sandy Bridge, and the one before is Nehalem (I think).

viper37

Core i7 Extreme Edition is the most recent generation of Intel CPU.
Below that is i7, then i5, and i3.

If you do buy a SSD, check the OCZ Vertex 4, 128 or 240gb.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2012, 02:44:00 PM
Core i7 Extreme Edition is the most recent generation of Intel CPU.
Below that is i7, then i5, and i3.
Those are not generations, those are classes (or whatever the word is).  There are three generations following the i7/5/3 nomenclature.
If you do buy a SSD, check the OCZ Vertex 4, 128 or 240gb.
I heard bad things about OCZ SSDs.  I'd rather go with Crucial, they seem to be the hands-down favorite on Newegg.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:23:18 AM

Speaking for myself, I haven't bought a complete parts package[1] in 6 or 7 years.  My Windows box, which is still a Core 2 Q6600, is on its third video card and second hard drive.  My Linux box has had quite a bit of turnover as I experimented with things, but I always reused some parts from my stash.  The cases are 9 and 13 years old, respectively, had have each had multiple power supplies.

I grant that I am the exception, though.

[1] Intel Atom boxes don't count, since they are almost a full system on a board.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2012, 09:50:15 PM
I heard bad things about OCZ SSDs.  I'd rather go with Crucial, they seem to be the hands-down favorite on Newegg.
new controller for the 4th generation.  Just don't forget to update the firmware before installing your stuff.