News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Endless Space

Started by Tamas, July 05, 2012, 02:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

It is a weird thing. This game does quite a few things wrong or feels incomplete in aspects yet it has that one more turn feel that makes you suddenly turn around and wonder where the last 10 hours went. GalCiv2 on the other hand did just about everything right and I couldnt stand the game.

Berkut

I have been looking, well...forever? for a good space 4x game that can someday be what MOO2 was, and through in MP to boot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Cecil on July 14, 2012, 12:57:37 AM
It is a weird thing. This game does quite a few things wrong or feels incomplete in aspects yet it has that one more turn feel that makes you suddenly turn around and wonder where the last 10 hours went. GalCiv2 on the other hand did just about everything right and I couldnt stand the game.

It's a bit small though.............huge is a mere 112 systems IIRC  :hmm:

I found GalCiv2 to be a yawnfest too.

Syt

I liked GalCiv2 well enough - they really improved things with the expansions, esp. with the diplomacy and AI. However, what really turned me off was the space station spam, and that you could plop the stations anywhere, even in the middle of nowhere. Kind of an immersion breaker.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I purchased this on the last Steam sale, and have been having some fun with it.  Had a four X urge but Rome Total War wasn't satisfying it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

It is admittedly odd that I can travel the stars from the beginning, but it took me 60 years to see what's on the moon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Berkut

SO this is in sale right now for $7.50. Yes, no?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

I had some fun with it.  It's not overly complex, but fun and stylish.  Some of the design choices are weird (why do systems have a maximum of six planets?), but it works out.  Good art design, each technology has a symbol that reminds me of the symbols for Alpha Centauri.

Syt

The devs are working on a fantasy "sequel", btw.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Yeah, it's like a tower defense game.

Syt

You mean Dungeon of the Endless? It's part tower defense, part RTS, part turn based exploration, with some RPG mechanics.

No, I mean Endless Legends.

http://www.amplitude-studios.com/Articles/OUR-NEXT-4X-GAME

It seems "Endless" will be part of all their games. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on July 14, 2012, 02:15:52 PM
I have been looking, well...forever? for a good space 4x game that can someday be what MOO2 was, and through in MP to boot.

:( We'll never see the like again, I'm afraid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I found MoO2 fun, but it was not particularly deep, and the AI sucked. Especially the tactical battles became boring and repetitive after a while. I played it a lot when it was out, but I don't think it was that big a milestone, unlike, say Alpha Centauri.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on December 27, 2013, 08:45:48 PM

There has been about two dozen clones out in recent years which match the formula. Ok, some of them are not yet ready, but still. Thing is, however excellent MOO2 was in it's time, it has become a weight dragging the genre down.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on December 28, 2013, 04:50:25 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 27, 2013, 08:45:48 PM

There has been about two dozen clones out in recent years which match the formula. Ok, some of them are not yet ready, but still. Thing is, however excellent MOO2 was in it's time, it has become a weight dragging the genre down.

That is just...silly.

It is not dragging anything down - the problem is that nobody seems to understand what it is about MOO2 that was so successful, so the successors keep losing the thing that made the game work while trying to improve the formula.

It isn't dragging anything down, the problem is that the developers don't seem to be willing to accept the lessons that should have been learned from it, and from the constant flow of failures that have come after it.

0 rows returned