News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New computer build

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2012, 04:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It's time for a new computer.  I'm going to build it in time for Windows 8 release, but it doesn't hurt to plan early.  My budget is about $1500, but I'll take it up to $2,000 if I have to.  My goal is to have a very powerful, but not insane computer.

What's the latest state of the art that I should be aware of?  In particular, I'm curious to see what motherboard, CPU, and video cards I should put in my new PC.

Ed Anger

Ivy Bridge is the new thing for Intel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

You can try Windows 8 right now. Do it before you spend 100$ on it & hate it, so, so very much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Barrister

These days, and for that kind of money, I would buy a nice laptop, and hook it up to your existing keyboard and monitor.  Any system you spend $1500 is going to be overkill for anything you're likely to do on it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2012, 11:21:29 PM
These days, and for that kind of money, I would buy a nice laptop, and hook it up to your existing keyboard and monitor.  Any system you spend $1500 is going to be overkill for anything you're likely to do on it.

Not bad, so this is your new technique for recommending Apple, by not mentioning the corporations name.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2012, 09:14:35 AM
Not bad, so this is your new technique for recommending Apple, by not mentioning the corporations name.  :cool:

I'm sure that by "laptop," he really means Mac Mini: http://www.apple.com/macmini/

:P
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2012, 11:21:29 PM
Hell no.  Kind of hard to make a gaming rig out of a laptop.

DGuller

Which motherboard maker has the best reputation for reliability?  Is it ASUS?  I think my MSI motherboard is not quite all right, and I'd rather avoid the repeat of that experience.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2012, 04:09:11 PM
It's time for a new computer.  I'm going to build it in time for Windows 8 release, but it doesn't hurt to plan early.  My budget is about $1500, but I'll take it up to $2,000 if I have to.  My goal is to have a very powerful, but not insane computer.

What's the latest state of the art that I should be aware of?  In particular, I'm curious to see what motherboard, CPU, and video cards I should put in my new PC.
AMD 990FX (I recommend the Asus Sabertooth with a 5 year warrenty)
AM3+ 8 core processor
Radeon 7950 (price=300$ if you shop around enough)
SSD drive, OCZ Vertex 4, 256gb (price=240$)
Sata III hdd 2tb (price=110$).
8gb DDR3 Ram

Price for this is around 1100-1200$.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

After preliminary stroll through newegg.com, I have a couple of questions.

First, what's the latest skinny on Intel vs. AMD?  Is AMD a viable alternative now for semi-hardcore gaming?  I've always been an Intel man, but that was due to sticking with tried and true more than anything.

Secondly, I need to revisit the size of case issue.  Is mid-tower good enough, or will it feel cramped, with the video cards being the size of small cars these days?  I have to say that my current HAF case may be a bit of an overkill.  While certainly it gives me enough room to work in, it's a bit too ponderous to tuck away far enough to not regularly stub toes on.

Ed Anger

My 6 core AMD(My first AMD powered computer) has been fine. Can't give you any benchmarks, since I don't do that crap anymore.

It does seem to pump out the heat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

After reading the articles I could Google, I'm going to stick with Intel.  AMD seems like an iffy proposition for a gaming rig.

katmai

I'm enjoying my intel, now old in that it is sandy bridge, but does okay :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son