As India's kids starve, $1.5 billion worth of grain rots

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2012, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2012, 11:51:34 AM
I'm showing this thread to my kid when he won't eat his green beans tonight.

If he's smart, he'll ask you to ship them to India then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2012, 08:36:30 AM
I hate these kinds of articles.  Yes, 3,000 children die every day from malnutrition, but how many children do not die?  Context is everything.
3000 a day are 1095000 per year. According to Wiki, about 26 890 000 children are born each year in India. So it's roughly one in 25 children dying from mulnutrition.  :(

Neil

India has problems that no other country has to deal with.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

It would be easier to feed the kids if they were in silos or some sort of feedlot.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 02, 2012, 11:53:00 AM
Sound to me like they need to get more MacDonalds.

They have enough temples over there.

derspiess

I always wonder about the Indians that own & run the Subway downtown near my office.  Dunno if they're Hindu or Muslim, but either way they're violating their beliefs since they serve me both ham and roast beef.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: PDH on July 02, 2012, 01:59:40 PM
It would be easier to feed the kids if they were in silos or some sort of feedlot.

where would you put the grain then while it's waiting to be stored in the children?

-------------

pretty bad for the indian government. disgraceful even.

Neil

It's hard to feed India.  Even the British, the best government that the world has ever seen, had trouble with famines during the years of the Raj.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on July 02, 2012, 08:13:37 AM
Why should you care less that children are starving because they were born in a different country?

Because starving Americans will have a higher likelihood of returning the favor after they're fed.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2012, 02:35:14 PM
I always wonder about the Indians that own & run the Subway downtown near my office.  Dunno if they're Hindu or Muslim

They might not be either.

Razgovory

I always wonder about the Indians that own & run the Subway downtown near my office.  Dunno if they're Hindu or Muslim, but either way they're violating their beliefs since they serve me both ham and roast beef.

You know, the folks that run one of the Subway's in my town are Indian or Pakistanis.  Always go there, best service of all the subways in town.  They are quick!  I'm guessing those countries are just exporting all their best people.  Every person I've ever met from South Asia (and there are a surprisingly large number of them), has been polite, competent, and intelligent.  Well accept one who was a doctor I only saw once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2012, 03:32:01 PM
Why should you care less that children are starving because they were born in a different country?

Because starving Americans will have a higher likelihood of returning the favor after they're fed.

Also, you should have your own house in order before you go around bothering other people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2012, 03:32:01 PM

You donate to charity because you expect people to return the favor?

derspiess

Quote from: dps on July 02, 2012, 04:06:24 PM
I always wonder about the Indians that own & run the Subway downtown near my office.  Dunno if they're Hindu or Muslim

They might not be either.

True, but there's roughly a 94% chance of them being one of those two.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall