Japanese Politicians To Discuss Building a Full-Sized, Working Gundam

Started by jimmy olsen, June 27, 2012, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2012, 11:18:18 AM
Where does the term Gundum come from anyway?  I keep thinking of a giant Belgian karate robot named Jean Claude Van Gun-damme.

The way I understand it, Gundam means "steel bullet".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2012, 06:47:46 PM
Unless someone has solved the chemistry and physics problems that would plague machines on the nanoscale.

Drexlerian?  Sure.  The problem is that everybody goes to the absolute smallest scales

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81584

Mount one of these puppies on a bot the size of a dragonfly, and you've got a 1080p roving surveillance camera.  Put a couple dozen of those zipping around a target and not only have you got video coverage to rival surveillance satellites, they're mounted to targets that can only be hit with explosives or a really lucky shot...
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2012, 10:36:44 PM
Dragonflies must be bigger were you are.

I live on the edge of a swamp.  That goes without saying. ;)
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2012, 02:17:01 AM
Since when does nanoscale mean kinda smallish?

Sure, I've got a flexible definition of nano- basically, if I can get it to the size of my hand or smaller, I consider it "nano-scale."  I guess "micro-scale" would be a better description, but there you go.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 02, 2012, 01:21:12 PM

Sure, I've got a flexible definition of nano- basically, if I can get it to the size of my hand or smaller, I consider it "nano-scale."  I guess "micro-scale" would be a better description, but there you go.

:hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2012, 07:17:16 AM
:lol:

Indeed.

I thought "nano" was like "giga" and represented a particular number or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2012, 01:23:00 PM

:bleeding:

Captain Carrot's hand: one nanometer wide.  But what does this say of his wiener?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2012, 02:03:24 PM

Captain Carrot's hand: one nanometer wide.  But what does this say of his wiener?

:pinch:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

If he shares my basic anatomy probably 5-6 nanometers long.

Neil

Surveillance isn't really a useful application for nanotech.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2012, 02:14:02 PM

If he shares my basic anatomy probably 5-6 nanometers long.
:lmfao:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point