News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Book recommendations sought

Started by Martinus, June 28, 2012, 06:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 28, 2012, 08:45:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2012, 07:08:00 AMIf you want British magical realism I'd suggest Rushdie - in particular Midnight's Children or the Moor's Last Sigh -

I don't believe Martinus wants to think too much.

Yes.  :Embarrass:

Malthus

Hey Martinus, you probably want to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Night-Circus-Erin-Morgenstern/dp/0307744434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340907237&sr=8-1&keywords=night+circus

QuoteThe circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

It is very reminiscent of Gaiman and Clarke - atmospheric, with magic and romance galore (and no deep thinking  :D). A page-turner.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2012, 06:51:23 AM
Ok, so I'm looking for some book recommendations which are rather specific:  writers similar to Pratchett, Gaiman or Susana Clarke - i.e. thoughtful British softly-leftist magical realism (Pratchett is technically not a magical realism writer but his later books make Ankh-Morpork quite clearly a satire on Victorian England so it counts).

So nobody calls him on this stuff anymore?  Victorian London?  Christ.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Did anyone suggest China Mieville?  Perdidio Street Station isn't magical realism (but Marty doesn't know what that is anyway), but it seems to fit what he's describing.  It's British Leftist fantasy.  Perhaps bit harder left then others, but is good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 01:33:43 PM
Did anyone suggest China Mieville?  Perdidio Street Station isn't magical realism (but Marty doesn't know what that is anyway), but it seems to fit what he's describing.  It's British Leftist fantasy.  Perhaps bit harder left then others, but is good.

I thought of that, but it is much darker in tone than the stuff he was citing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I've heard really really good stuff about Mieville but not read any yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2012, 01:55:02 PM
I've heard really really good stuff about Mieville but not read any yet.

It isn't for everyone, that's for sure. His best is probably Perdido Street Station, but the overall grottiness of the setting is sorta off-putting to some. He is an author in love with perversity, and his work has been compared to Gormenghast - but it lacks the gleefull edge to the insanity that lightens that work. In Perdido, everything is wierd, grungy and gross. It's like steampunk by way of Frank Miller's Sin Sity crossed with H.P. Lovecraft - imagine noirish tentacled monstrosities whoring themselves out for some unimaginably bad drugs.  :D

Martinus

I decided to watch Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law instead.  :blush:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2012, 01:04:03 PM
What I'm looking for is a sort of mix of wry humour and "supernatural mixing with mundane" while serving also as a satire.

You might want to check out Glen Cook, then.  Not so much his Black Company stuff, but the Garrett, P.I. books fit that bill, although with perhaps more emphasis on the supernatural than you're looking for.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

He might like Brust's Vlad Taltos books.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
I decided to watch Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law instead.  :blush:

It was fun.