Automated Job Rejection: Or, Cutting One's Own Throat As An Employer

Started by CountDeMoney, June 27, 2012, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on June 28, 2012, 05:57:52 AM
From the employer's POV, it's good to know that the job applicant was actually the on who filled out the application, which you can only be sure about if they are applying in person.  During the time I was making hiring decisions, I saw plenty of cases in which the applicants mother/brother/girlfriend/buddy/wiife filled out the application for them because the applicant couldn't or wouldn't.  None of those people even got an interview.  I would have wasted a lot of time interviewing them if we had taken the applications on-line, because I wouldn't have known that the applicant was too do-less to even actually bother to apply.

I suspect most of those get weeded out when there's some kind of advanced degree/certificate/training requirement involved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

From the employer's POV, it's good to know that the job applicant was actually the on who filled out the application, which you can only be sure about if they are applying in person.  During the time I was making hiring decisions, I saw plenty of cases in which the applicants mother/brother/girlfriend/buddy/wiife filled out the application for them because the applicant couldn't or wouldn't.  None of those people even got an interview.  I would have wasted a lot of time interviewing them if we had taken the applications on-line, because I wouldn't have known that the applicant was too do-less to even actually bother to apply.

I hired somebody whose Mom called me.  Granted, she was a VP's executive assistant, but still.  She cared.  He worked out.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on June 27, 2012, 08:31:27 PM
If they can leave a position unfilled for a year, they don't really need that position.  If they really want it, they will be willing to compromise.  Sometimes I feel the hiring isn't sincere.  They just want to say to someone within the organisation that they are hiring.  It could be "we can't do this until we hire someone, but since we haven't been able to hire someone we can't do what you want us to do" or "we are trying to hire someone to share the work, but since nobody has turned up you guys need to put in more hours".

I think this might be more of a government-only kind of thinking, but yes.

Managers like having a large budget - it's how you feel important.  But managers also like to come in under-budget - it's how you get promoted.  And for awhile in Alberta managers got bonuses if they were under budget.

So keeping positions unfilled for periods of time was a good way to do this.  Now I think if a position was unfilled for too long you might lose it entirely so they would hire someone eventually.  But there was generally no rush to fill a position.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I guess we're thinking of different sorts of positions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Don't I know about the sucky situation.
Before I came here I couldn't even get a crappy minimum wage job in a bar or the like. All I got was some work labouring...and that was only because it was with my dad (it sucked. After 2 days hard work I ended up with only £20-30 more than I would have got not working....)

I just hope I can twist this current job into counting for 2 years of office work experience.

Quote"Notice: This is an unpaid internship position.
This shit really really needs stamping out. Its really biased in favour of the kids of rich parents.
I'd have loved to do an internship, it would been interesting and really helped me when it came to getting a job. No way I could afford it though. It would involve living in London or wherever for a few months without even getting unemployment benefits.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

QuoteThis shit really really needs stamping out. Its really biased in favour of the kids of rich parents.

You know, I don't think I've ever had rich kids interning. They were all college kids doing it for credit.

I did do some nepotism though a couple of intern spots.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

I would have had a hard time travelling around the country applying for jobs on my income.

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2012, 07:31:44 AM

I guess we're thinking of different sorts of positions.

Yes, I was hiring for unskilled, entry-level positions, so we're really talking about different applicant pools than those for skilled/certified/experienced workers.  But either way, there are problems with over-automated systems.

garbon

Quote from: dps on June 28, 2012, 11:04:42 AM
Yes, I was hiring for unskilled, entry-level positions, so we're really talking about different applicant pools than those for skilled/certified/experienced workers.  But either way, there are problems with over-automated systems.

Well on the skilled side, that's what you have HR do phone interview for...but yeah when I had an unskilled job, I filled out an application in person / was interviewed in person as my first and only round.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Maximus on June 28, 2012, 09:05:37 AM

I would have had a hard time travelling around the country applying for jobs on my income.

Not even applying, when I was unemployed I couldn't afford to go to many interviews even.
██████
██████
██████