News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

From what I understand the game was always going to require a Playstation Network account (advertised on store front as well), but at launch the servers were dying, so they suspended it.

And now Sony want to enforce it. And do it in the most hamfisted way possible. :D The funniest bit is that they sold the game in countries that don't have PSN and now removed it from sale in those territories (apparently people who bought it will get refunds).

It's as if Sony saw the Escape from Tarkov devs shooting themselves in the foot and said, "Hold my Sake!"

For a summary: Escape from Tarkov had been running on the promise of never being pay to win, and that people who bought the $150 edition (which was, after years, many active players) would get all future DLC free. Then they announced a new $250 edition that would include PvE ... but it would not be part of the $150 pledge, because "it's a new game mode, not DLC." (Also, the edition includes items that will give owners a tangible advantage over players not owning them.) Which went about as well, as you'd think. There was some back and forth and semantics and the devs backtracked, promising that the $150 purchasers would also get access to the PvE mode at some point, but pointed out that they don't have server capacity for all those customers at the moment. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2024, 07:32:09 AMFrom what I understand the game was always going to require a Playstation Network account (advertised on store front as well), but at launch the servers were dying, so they suspended it.

And now Sony want to enforce it. And do it in the most hamfisted way possible. :D The funniest bit is that they sold the game in countries that don't have PSN and now removed it from sale in those territories (apparently people who bought it will get refunds).

It's as if Sony saw the Escape from Tarkov devs shooting themselves in the foot and said, "Hold my Sake!"

For a summary: Escape from Tarkov had been running on the promise of never being pay to win, and that people who bought the $150 edition (which was, after years, many active players) would get all future DLC free. Then they announced a new $250 edition that would include PvE ... but it would not be part of the $150 pledge, because "it's a new game mode, not DLC." (Also, the edition includes items that will give owners a tangible advantage over players not owning them.) Which went about as well, as you'd think. There was some back and forth and semantics and the devs backtracked, promising that the $150 purchasers would also get access to the PvE mode at some point, but pointed out that they don't have server capacity for all those customers at the moment. :lol:

even Japan appears to be on that list! Possible biggest fuckup of the year in the industry, right here.

The Minsky Moment

Sony is in a weird place; they don't seem to know what to do.

Nintendo has a clear strategy; they have built high walls around their core IP and run a purely closed system.  They churn out iterations of the same game over and over, but get away with it because the IP is well loved and because their design people do a solid job and produce quality product.  But if you want to play Mario, Zelda, etc. you are stuck doing it on Nintendo hardware, which at present is a big phone screen layered over 2015 era Nvidia Shield surplus parts.  The closed system means high sales of the hardware at great margins, but it limits their reach. And if emulation ever goes mainstream, they could face problems, which is why they are the only major policing that ecosystem with lawsuits.

Microsoft has gone completely in other direction, pushing openness and interoperability, and centering their strategy around gamepass for subscription-based distribution with bring your own device. Accordingly, "Series" X Box sales have stalled and XBox is firmly mired in the #3 position in the console wars, but does MSFT really care that much? They see that Steam has become such a powerful player in the gaming market, that developers have to develop or port to PC or forgo a big chunk of potential sales. And once a game is playable on PC it can played on virtually any platform - again Valve has helped demonstrate that. I think MSFT is looking into a future where consoles became obsolete or just one of many interchangeable "boxes" that can be used to stream content.

Where does that leave Sony - seemingly stuck between two stools. The PlayStation is their core platform, but it doesn't look like this gen will match PS4 sales, much less the heights of PS2.  That means hard decisions to be made on the publishing side - do they go exclusive to the console to try to flog more PS5 sales, or dual distribute on Steam for the revenue boost.  Helldivers 2 seemed to the poster child for the second strategy, but it also appears Sony is understandably scared for the long-term implications for their console if that becomes the new model.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 05, 2024, 01:24:34 PMWhere does that leave Sony - seemingly stuck between two stools. The PlayStation is their core platform, but it doesn't look like this gen will match PS4 sales, much less the heights of PS2.  That means hard decisions to be made on the publishing side - do they go exclusive to the console to try to flog more PS5 sales, or dual distribute on Steam for the revenue boost.  Helldivers 2 seemed to the poster child for the second strategy, but it also appears Sony is understandably scared for the long-term implications for their console if that becomes the new model.

For what it's worth, I see more and more people coming from the console space - Playstation players - coming over PC gaming, asking questions about which type of hardware they should get to play their games, dads asking questions about what kind of computer they should get for their sons at any price point, even hardware somewhat lower than PS5 sometimes.

5 years ago, it was still the opposite, young gamers wanting the overpriced console and not wanting anything to do with a PC.

If Linux manages to fix their HDR problems, it can gain even more traction.  With Steam, they are already really good as a gaming platform.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Crazy_Ivan80

Steam more or less won the console and pc- console wars once the deck came out

Josquius

That summary for consoles sounds about right.

It's sad in a way. I have extrmeley fond memories of getting new consoles. But post ps2 it's all just Meh.
Part of it is no doubt age but I do think the shine has come off console gaming in general too.
I have a switch but otherwise the most regent consoles I have are a PS3 and Wii - I have been tempted by a ps5 at some point, with ps4 games ones I want to play on there.... But 3/4 of the games that interest me seem to be coming onto PC anyway.
The Japanese industry dying in particular has crushed consoles.

I've read a few pieces lately saying gaming as I know it altogether is dying. That traditional games are just for old people with kids these days preferring their looped multiplayer free to play battleground sandboxes.

With the news lately of AAA studios being in trouble too...
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Solmyr on May 06, 2024, 03:16:24 AMSony got scared. https://nordic.ign.com/helldivers-ii/81961/news/playstation-reverses-course-on-helldivers-2-psn-account-requirement

Nice.
Hopefully we'll see the game's score go up again but I'm guessing it won't really recover.
Something about trust leaving on horses...

Syt

Sony has backed down.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/third-person-shooter/sony-backs-down-on-demand-that-helldivers-2-players-log-into-a-psn-account/

QuoteA few days ago, Sony posted a message to Steam noting that, "Due to technical issues at the launch of HELLDIVERS 2, we allowed the linking requirements for Steam accounts to a PlayStation Network account to be temporarily optional. That grace period will now expire." That went down well with PC players, who were delighted to be allowed to hand over their personal details to Sony.

No, wait, that's not what happened. They dropped over 200,000 negative reviews on Helldivers 2, leading to an apology from developer Arrowhead's CEO.

While some of the complaints on social media have edged over into tantrum territory, there is a valid issue behind the uproar. Not every country can access the PlayStation Network, and Helldivers 2 ended up being pulled from sale in 177 countries and territories that could previously buy the game and play it without worry.

Now, after three days of pure shitstorm, Sony has blinked. In a tweet, the publisher said, "we've heard your feedback on the Helldivers 2 account linking update. The May 6 update, which would have required Steam and PlayStation Network account linking for new players and for current players beginning May 30, will not be moving forward."

Sony continued, "We're still learning what is best for PC players and your feedback has been invaluable. Thanks again for your continued support of Helldivers 2 and we'll keep you updated on future plans."

Arrowhead CEO Johan Pilestedt replied to say, "Firstly, I am impressed by the willpower of the @helldivers2 community and your ability to collaborate. Secondly I want to thank our partners and friends at @PlayStation for quickly and effectively making the decision to leave PSN linking optional. We together want to set a new standard for what a live game is, and how developers and community can support each other to create the best game experiences."

Hopefully Helldivers 2 will return to sale in all those places where it became unavailable, and maybe we'll see that user review average shoot back up again.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2024, 04:54:32 AMSony has backed down.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/third-person-shooter/sony-backs-down-on-demand-that-helldivers-2-players-log-into-a-psn-account/

QuoteA few days ago, Sony posted a message to Steam noting that, "Due to technical issues at the launch of HELLDIVERS 2, we allowed the linking requirements for Steam accounts to a PlayStation Network account to be temporarily optional. That grace period will now expire." That went down well with PC players, who were delighted to be allowed to hand over their personal details to Sony.

No, wait, that's not what happened. They dropped over 200,000 negative reviews on Helldivers 2, leading to an apology from developer Arrowhead's CEO.

While some of the complaints on social media have edged over into tantrum territory, there is a valid issue behind the uproar. Not every country can access the PlayStation Network, and Helldivers 2 ended up being pulled from sale in 177 countries and territories that could previously buy the game and play it without worry.

Now, after three days of pure shitstorm, Sony has blinked. In a tweet, the publisher said, "we've heard your feedback on the Helldivers 2 account linking update. The May 6 update, which would have required Steam and PlayStation Network account linking for new players and for current players beginning May 30, will not be moving forward."

Sony continued, "We're still learning what is best for PC players and your feedback has been invaluable. Thanks again for your continued support of Helldivers 2 and we'll keep you updated on future plans."

Arrowhead CEO Johan Pilestedt replied to say, "Firstly, I am impressed by the willpower of the @helldivers2 community and your ability to collaborate. Secondly I want to thank our partners and friends at @PlayStation for quickly and effectively making the decision to leave PSN linking optional. We together want to set a new standard for what a live game is, and how developers and community can support each other to create the best game experiences."

Hopefully Helldivers 2 will return to sale in all those places where it became unavailable, and maybe we'll see that user review average shoot back up again.

Nice.
Hopefully we'll see the game's score go up again but I'm guessing it won't really recover.
Something about trust leaving on horses...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Helldivers' community is especially capable of organizing themselves to protest Sony. They just treated the whole thing as an in-game "Major Order" and deployed hell pods to planet Sony Prime. They seem to be telling everyone to remove their negative reviews now.

Glad they won the battle but the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on May 06, 2024, 02:03:16 AMI've read a few pieces lately saying gaming as I know it altogether is dying. That traditional games are just for old people with kids these days preferring their looped multiplayer free to play battleground sandboxes.

It's not necessarily and either/or; mobile gaming is dominant from a revenue standpoint, but so far it's been economically additive.  PC gaming has been growing revenue pretty steadily if unspectacularly for a while. Among steam users the biggest demos are 20-29 and 30-39, with a 2/3 share collectively between them.  So if death is coming, it will be slow and very drawn out. 

I do think consoles as a distinct category are in trouble.  A key sign will be if the next-gen X Box is truly open and allows access to Steam and other stores.  I think that would be the logical next step for MSFT but it would mean the transition of consoles from dedicated systems in themselves to competing gaming-oriented set top boxes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

So in that scenario the Xbox becomes a low-hassle gaming PC with a bunch of MSFT related convenience features? Makes some sense.

viper37

Helldivers 2 community manager was fired:

https://thatparkplace.com/helldivers-2-community-manager-spitz-fired/

QuoteIn another comment he wrote, "I appreciate all the support and I appreciate even more that everyone can play the game again without restrictions. I knew I was taking a risk with what I said about refunding and changing reviews. I stand by it. It was my job to represent the community, that's what I did. Taking the rest of the day off, not feeling super well. Love you all."
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

As much as Sony was in the wrong/messed this up, I understand them being fired.