And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Maybe I'll start moderating languish to encourage ethical posting... :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2023, 04:37:23 PMMaybe I'll stand moderating languish to encourage ethical posting... :hmm:

You could also sit

Darth Wagtaros

What good is a game review that is not focused on the game but on the author of the books that inspired the game?  It just furhters the image that game reviewers are either shameless shills or useless political hacks.

PDH!

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2023, 04:46:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2023, 04:37:23 PMMaybe I'll stand moderating languish to encourage ethical posting... :hmm:

You could also sit

Not sure that would be ethical.

Jacob

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 15, 2023, 05:24:12 PMWhat good is a game review that is not focused on the game but on the author of the books that inspired the game?  It just furhters the image that game reviewers are either shameless shills or useless political hacks.

What game reviewers mostly are are committed videogame fans trying to make a living from underpaid writing gigs.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 15, 2023, 05:24:12 PMWhat good is a game review that is not focused on the game but on the author of the books that inspired the game?  It just furhters the image that game reviewers are either shameless shills or useless political hacks.

I mean, it's someone expressing their views through writing. If you don't like what that reviewer is writing you can find another writer that is more to your taste. Games aren't toasters.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2023, 01:36:42 PMAs an aside, game review site rockpapershotgun.com which can often take somewhat progressive views on videogames that I find alternatingly refreshing and annoying, apparently simply stopped talking about Hogwarts Legacy two years ago.

No review, no essay on why they aren't giving a review.  Instead they had a "Magic Week" (that just so happens to coincide with Legacy's release) where they highlight a bunch of indie games involving wizards and magic.

A far more honourable approach.

But not a courageous one, regardless of how you look at it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

A remake of the city builder Pharaoh has been released:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351080/Pharaoh_A_New_Era/

It mainly promises to be an updated version of the classic (including modernized UI and quality of life), and so far is getting very positive user reviews.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 15, 2023, 06:45:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2023, 01:36:42 PMAs an aside, game review site rockpapershotgun.com which can often take somewhat progressive views on videogames that I find alternatingly refreshing and annoying, apparently simply stopped talking about Hogwarts Legacy two years ago.

No review, no essay on why they aren't giving a review.  Instead they had a "Magic Week" (that just so happens to coincide with Legacy's release) where they highlight a bunch of indie games involving wizards and magic.

A far more honourable approach.

But not a courageous one, regardless of how you look at it.

You know I thought about this for a bit.

A lot of things can be courageous, but stupid.  Or unhonourable.

Printing a 1/10 review for a game on entirely political grounds, in a magazine/website that doesn't typically review games, is definitely courageous.  But that's probably the best that can be said about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 15, 2023, 06:45:16 PMBut not a courageous one, regardless of how you look at it.

Dunno, considering this was a much anticipated title for fans, plus creating a lot of controversy (which can be converted to clicks), not covering it is maybe not "fighting a dragon" or "storming Omaha Beach" brave, but it certainly is one that lowers traffic/ad revenue for the site that someone has to explain to the people holding the purse strings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: chipwich on February 16, 2023, 03:02:20 PMWhat a horrifying mind to think that ethics only apply if you can be punished for breaking them.

Who thinks that?

chipwich

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2023, 05:31:09 PM
Quote from: chipwich on February 16, 2023, 03:02:20 PMWhat a horrifying mind to think that ethics only apply if you can be punished for breaking them.

Who thinks that?

Derp I misread.

Jacob

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

chipwich