News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Following the German Expressionist version of Steamed Hams, Steam (hah!) recommended to me yesterday this game in my discovery queue:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2143140/The_Eyes_of_Dr_Kautzmann/

QuoteInspired by German expressionist cinema, The Eyes of Dr Kautzmann is an atmospheric and haunting exploration of radicalisation and the apathy of evil. A first-person point-and-click puzzle/horror game, it will challenge your logic and critical thinking skills just as it horrifies you with its disturbing narrative.

Uncover the Mystery of a Doomed Town

Use your detective skills to piece together the history of a town and find the secrets behind its ultimate fate.

Solve Environmental Puzzles

Apply your understanding of the mystery to solve environmental puzzles and escape the same tragic fate that befell the town's inhabitants.

Experience a Haunting Atmosphere

Taking inspiration from German expressionist cinema and gothic 19th century literature, The Eyes of Dr Kautzmann features a surreal art design and atmosphere that will leave you questioning your own reality.

Note: Currently, only Act 1 is available to play. The game will be updated in the future when more content is complete.

Haven't tried it yet, but hey, it's free! (I'll assume the full game, if ever released, might cost money?)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

How long has this German expressionist cinema revival been going on? I saw Steamed Hams had gotten the treatment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on January 26, 2023, 01:47:47 AMHow long has this German expressionist cinema revival been going on? I saw Steamed Hams had gotten the treatment.

I saw that, I commend the effort but there were some stylistical errors in the recreation.  :sleep:  :nerd:

Syt

If you wished that Fallout 4 felt more like Silent Hill and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., this modlist might be for you. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I would be content with a mod that made it not dull.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Syt

Not yet, I think. People on Steam seem to like it, but I'm not in a WW2 tactical mood at the moment.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Nuclear War Simulator is out. Less game, more sim tool.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1603940/Nuclear_War_Simulator/

QuoteInfo section:
Nuclear War Simulator is a detailed realistic simulation and visualization of large-scale nuclear conflicts with a focus on humanitarian consequences. There are currently over 13000 nuclear weapons on this planet of which over 9000 are in military stockpiles. This software should help you answer the question: what will happen if Russia and the United States or India and Pakistan use their arsenals?You can design warheads, missiles and carries, place them on the map and execute attack plans to tell a credible story about how nuclear conflicts play out and what are the consequences. Using a high-resolution population density map and realistic weapons effects like blast, heat and radiation you can make an estimate of how many people will die in a conflict.

Nuclear conflict scenarios
You can design realistic large-scale scenarios between major powers with thousands of warheads. Scenarios can be created manually where you can assign each warhead individually or with the assistance of an AI for faster targeting. It is also possible to simulate whole conflicts with a few clicks on the map interactively. You can download scenarios created by other people and upload your scenarios to the mods.io server.

Realistic effects of nuclear weapons
The simulation includes a high-resolution population density grid. The effects of blast, heat, fires and radiation are calculated and visualized for each population cell to estimate fatalities (similar to Alex Wellerstein's NUKEMAP). The destruction of military targets is simulated using a model considering the CEP of the weapon, target hardness and cratering.You can place yourself, your family and friends into the simulation to estimate the expected injuries and survival probability. The amount of burnt fuel and produced soot are also calculated to estimate the effects of nuclear winter using a simplified model.

Design and placement of objects
Using an intuitive UI you can design warheads, place them on missiles and into silos, on aircraft, TELs and submarines.You can then place the forces onto the map simply clicking on it or importing real-world locations from KMZ files.

If you know how much uranium and plutonium is needed for one warhead, you can estimate how many can be build from today's stockpiles if a country wants to.

Modding and interfaces
The simulation supports some basic modding of unit textures, loading screens and background music. It is also possible to share unit blueprints and scenarios with others.If you have simulated a conflict in another tool you can import the list of detonations as a simple CSV file to calculate the humanitarian effects. On the other hand, you can also export the list of detonations together with the burnt soot into other tools like detailed climate simulations.

Features
- Detailed effects of nuclear weapons, accurate reports on affects/results (including but not limited to radiation zones, casualties and fires)
- Realistic delivery systems, up-to-date full known arsenal of main world powers.
- Sandbox to design weapon systems and build conflict scenarios.
- Individual civilians moving on the map and taking shelter.
- 22+ predefined editable scenarios.
- In-game mod upload and download. (instant synchronisation)
- Adjustable AI.
- Integrated early warning and Missile Defence systems.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

QuoteNuclear War Simulator is a detailed realistic simulation and visualization of large-scale nuclear conflicts with a focus on humanitarian consequences.

Simulation. Right. I've been to the movies.

QuoteThere are currently over 13000 nuclear weapons on this planet of which over 9000 are in military stockpiles.

The militarization of American local law enforcement is getting out of hand.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

I was hoping it'd be a remake of the amazing 80's game Nuclear War.
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2023, 12:15:12 PMIf you wished that Fallout 4 felt more like Silent Hill and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., this modlist might be for you. :P

Oh my
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Great War: Western Front has a demo out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109370/The_Great_War_Western_Front/

It has you manage the Western Front as a turn based layer (including researching new technologies), with battles playing out in real time.

PC Gamer preview: https://www.pcgamer.com/i-lost-thousands-of-soldiers-in-the-great-war-western-front-because-i-forgot-my-balloon/

Preview by The Historical Gamer:

The game is by Petroglyph who made Star Wars: Empire at War and the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection ... with a lot of lesser known RTS titles in between.
—Stephen Jay Gould