News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Messing around with Bannerlord 2 atm.
But I'm following both PotatoMcWiskey's and Perun's campaigns. Not in too much detail as I don't want to spoil the game too much.

Syt

Btw, I recommend people check out Hooded Horse's catalog on Steam. They don't have too much out yet, but it's one of the few publishers where almost every other game has either ended up on my wishlist or I'm at least following it to see how it shakes out:

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/HoodedHorse

They've published Old World; Terra Invicta and Nebulous: Fleet Command are in early access with great reviews so far. Clanfolk also reviews well (Rimworld, but Scottish Highlands, basically?).

Upcoming games are:

Alliance of the Sacred Suns (you get crowned emperor and need to manage your feudal star empire - you only get to play as the one character, so there's a ticking clock)

Against the Storm (fantasy city builder where you build a city between apocalyptic storms, trying to build the city strong enough to be able to rebuild after)

Manor Lords (medieval city builder - excellent demo)

Capital Command (starship command with sandbox campaign mode)

Espiocracy (run a an intelligence agency during the Cold War; promises 74 playable countries)

Xenonauts 2 (the sequel to Xenonauts which was a spiritual successor to original 90s X-Com, but set in the 1970s, though this one seems to be set in the present day)

Fata Deum (god game)

Fragile Existence (real time space exploration/base building RTS with space and planetary combat with survival elements, i.e. trying to preserve humanity against an overwhelming enemy)

Falling Frontier (another space game about exploration/expansion with a stronger focus on logistics and intel, plus some RPG elements, like managing commanders and their traits)

And a bunch more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Half of the titles mentioned are on my wishlist... I knew that a few were from the same publisher but not that it were so many.
And it looks like I'll need to dd some more

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2022, 02:01:32 PMI've picked it up, played the tutorial a bit - very much like what I see but I'm too into CK3 atm.

There seems to be a lot of depth to it, but a pace that is either glacial or epic depending on how much you like it.

Once you get around playing it, I recommend either being patient (including not being shy to restart once you feel you have gained a grasp on what's what) or if you don't mind spoilers watching videos to get a hang of what you are supposed to be doing and what to prepare for - I kind of enjoy the experience that I am as clueless about what the aliens are planning to do as the game's protagonists are supposed to be, but I could totally see a lot of people not being fine with spending 10+ hours on a playthrough just to realise they could have prepared a lot more to what's coming if they actually knew what was coming.

It should keep me occupied until Victoria 3 comes around, which is nice.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2022, 08:25:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2022, 02:01:32 PMI've picked it up, played the tutorial a bit - very much like what I see but I'm too into CK3 atm.

There seems to be a lot of depth to it, but a pace that is either glacial or epic depending on how much you like it.

Well, it's from the makers of the Long War mod for Xcom, so ... :P

Cool tips, though. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Started on FarCry 5. But the unengaging impersonal story and the capture mechanic proved too much for me. Anyone know if 6 is better?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2022, 11:45:27 AMStarted on FarCry 5. But the unengaging impersonal story and the capture mechanic proved too much for me. Anyone know if 6 is better?

Since Far Cry 3 these have been the same game with better graphics and a different so-called story. I actually kind of enjoy completing them once. I haven't played 6 but if you didn't like 5 I am betting you won't like 6.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Been playing Ozymandias. It's a fun little game that plays very much like a boardgame. There are no detailed complex systems like Civ-type games, but there are enough options and strategies that you can develop depending on which civ you are playing, your location on the map and what you need to win. The win conditions are very customizable and you can make them easier or harder to influence how quickly you will be able to fulfill them. Each game takes an hour or two to complete so it's not a days-long commitment like Civ.

Here is my Assyrian Empire (red color on the north side) on the Fertile Crescent map, one turn before winning the game. After a protracted struggle I finally crushed the Babylonians while also advancing against the Elamites in the eastern hills. You can see the crowns next to each civ's banner on the left side, those are earned from wonders which are essentially built by fulfilling different conditions. Once you have enough crowns (can be set up as anything from 1 to 10), you win.

Solmyr

Oh, and it has multiplayer too. Players do their turns at the same time, so there's no waiting. If enough people here get the game, we could get a MP game going. It's 20% off on Steam at the moment.

The Brain

Nice. I noticed that one a while back and put it on my wishlist. To me Civ-like games have always been more interesting in the early periods. I liked the old Civilization boardgame.

Syt

I played the demo and thought it was quite fun. It's certainly very "board-game" and highly abstracted compared to Field of Glory Empires, Civ, or Old World, but on the plus side you can finish a game in an hour or two.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Has anyone played Cyberpunk? In its present state, would it be worth picking up on sale?

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2022, 10:41:49 AMHas anyone played Cyberpunk? In its present state, would it be worth picking up on sale?
I've not played but I do hear its in a good state now and well worth it if you have a very good computer.
Mine hasn't been updated for 4 or 5 years so... Not for me.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2022, 10:41:49 AMHas anyone played Cyberpunk? In its present state, would it be worth picking up on sale?

You don't need that good a pc for it and yes it is worth it, especially if you are not expecting some revelatory experience like many people at release.