News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Anyways I have been having a lot of fun with Elden Ring, HOWEVER, by playing it in easy mode in a way - I use the Elden Ring wiki excessively to make sure I don't walk past some key item or mess up some quest because of the very vague communication the game does.

Have managed to build a sort of spellsword guy out of my starting Astrologist (around level 80 at the moment). I rely almost exclusively on spells, doing ranged skills while having a tanky spirit summoned for boss fights, but I have a nicely upgraded katana and a spiked mace to do melee with when necessary.

Syt

I'm 28 hours in, level 25, still in Stormveil Castle (and will be there for a bit :P ). But I'm also very much avoiding spoilers as much as possible - something I failed to do for previous games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

There was NATO Commander.  I always resorted to chemical weapons.
PDH!

Razgovory

Romances in RPGs are weird.  I'm playing through Siege of Dragonspear and suddenly this gnome wants to bone me.  That's really awkward.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2022, 11:07:38 PMRomances in RPGs are weird.  I'm playing through Siege of Dragonspear and suddenly this gnome wants to bone me.  That's really awkward.

POV: You're a woman.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

To the surprise of no one, Slitherine have announced Field of Glory: Kingdoms, success or to antiquity focused Empires.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985050/Field_of_Glory_Kingdoms/

QuoteABOUT THIS GAME

Field of Glory: Kingdoms is the new game from award-winning studio AGEOD, makers of some of the best grand strategy games of all times. It is set in 1054, just after the Great Schism, and it encompasses more than two centuries of epic European, African, and Middle Eastern history.

The game in numbers
375 factions
325 units
600 Buildings
14 Religions/heresies
90 Cultural traits (all new)

Authority and Disorder
Administer your royal domain with the new Authority concept. Keep your population and vassals under control, promulgate edicts to construct buildings, and declare wars on your enemies.

Dynasties and characters
As a ruler, prepare your succession by siring an heir with your spouse or with any other person of your choice. Having an heir is by no means a guarantee of a peaceful transition.

Religion
Having a neighbor of a different religion will create tensions and sometimes wars, even for tolerant rulers. When the imbalance is too strong, diplomacy will take a backseat, and war will be declared. Lose too many holy cities and watch a Crusade or Jihad form up.

Regions and population
Administer your population from the lowest peasants to the prestigious, powerful, and troublesome nobles. The social ladder is difficult to climb and your ability in keeping social classes under control is paramount to success.

Warfare
Keep your borders protected and build an army of expert combatants. Knights, sergeants, spearmen, crossbowmen, and many more types of units can be used to fulfill your objectives.
Field of Glory II Integration

If you want even more direct control, Field of Glory: Kingdoms lets you export and load your battles into Field of Glory II: Medieval and then load the results back into the game.

Multiplayer
And once you think you are ready to be challenged, play against real opponents in one of the largest asynchronous multiplayer systems ever created.

I'm not usually in the "game isn't long enough", but running from 1054 for "more than two centuries" implies that it ends in the 1200s somewhere, which does seem a tad short. I'd expect at least the Hundred Years War to be included (though that might be an expansion, similar to the Rise of Persia one for Empires?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Trying to get the base game right while leaving plenty of ground for later expansions seems the right path to me. I look forward to seeing how it develops.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 11, 2022, 09:07:09 AMTrying to get the base game right while leaving plenty of ground for later expansions seems the right path to me. I look forward to seeing how it develops.

Agreed.  I am really looking forward to this.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2022, 11:31:38 AMWhat's the Field of Glory schtick?

It's a well designed grand strategy game which allows the player to resolve combat by importing the Field of Glory tactical game - but that is not necessary.  I actually enjoyed the built in combat resolution system.

I recommend you try Empires if you get the chance.  If this new iteration is as good then I will be very happy.

Josquius

Its fun. But then 30 hours in you realise you missed a fundamental way of how the game works and the empire collapses.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Can I just say that one of the most infuriating things is the Epic Games Launcher updating? Every time it does, it says, "Oh, looks like you're using a new device! Please enter the security code we sent to the email address you only use when you need to authenticate this client!" No, I am not using a new device. I'm using the same device as last month, last year, two years ago, and I have NOT made any changes to hardware, my account or anything else. :mad:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 11, 2022, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2022, 11:31:38 AMWhat's the Field of Glory schtick?

It's a well designed grand strategy game which allows the player to resolve combat by importing the Field of Glory tactical game - but that is not necessary.  I actually enjoyed the built in combat resolution system.

I recommend you try Empires if you get the chance.  If this new iteration is as good then I will be very happy.

So I can play miniature battles with it... okay, maybe that's pretty convincing.

I do have the first edition of Field of Glory sitting on my bookshelf... though I never played it....

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on May 11, 2022, 01:57:01 PMCan I just say that one of the most infuriating things is the Epic Games Launcher updating? Every time it does, it says, "Oh, looks like you're using a new device! Please enter the security code we sent to the email address you only use when you need to authenticate this client!" No, I am not using a new device. I'm using the same device as last month, last year, two years ago, and I have NOT made any changes to hardware, my account or anything else. :mad:

Vpn or so?
That usually throws off steam for me.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould