News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2019, 06:09:53 AM
Well, I was travelling and forgot to cancel my Uplay free trial in time. :P So I guess I'll be playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint (sp?) for a month.

I understand it's ridiculously overwrought with microtransactions, and requires always online in SP?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

IDK, I played it during the open beta, I think it is awesome. I really liked Wildlands and this is the same just better and even prettier.

Sure you have to be online, but, hey, its 2019 :P

And yes the main mission hub has players walking around IIRC like an MMO but contextually they are fellow survivors of your unit so it is not a big deal, and you won't encounter anyone in the open world unless you are teamed up. So I just ignore it.

I also ignore PVP so I really don't care/know how the microtransactions work.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2019, 03:11:56 PM
IDK, I played it during the open beta, I think it is awesome. I really liked Wildlands and this is the same just better and even prettier.

Sounds nice. I loved Wildlands.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Yikes, reviews for the new Close Combat game are not kind. The 2nd part of RPS's review details its shortcomings: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/04/wot-i-think-close-combat-the-bloody-first/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Destiny 2 is F2P now on all platforms if you're looking for a solid shootmans game. Cross save is possible now too. Last night I got tired of sitting at the computer in our office so I plopped down on the couch in the living room and continued my character's progress on PS4.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I've been thinking a few hours into Unity of Command since the weekend. I'm not sure I actually enjoy it much. It feels more like a puzzle game than a strategy game, esp. if you try to get brilliant victories.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Unfortunately, it is definitely a puzzle game series. I liked it, but it's not especially deep or interesting.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I mean Panzer General and its clones are also often more of a puzzle game, but it feels more free form, and more forgiving, and makes for good beer/pretzels fodder. UoC feels like solving a sudoku.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

A couple Matrix Games I am...intrigued by:

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/shadow-empire-is-announced

No idea what the time frame is on that though, but it is a neat idea.

This one:

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/warplan-will-be-released-on-october-24th

Is coming out this month. I am interested primarily because if the designers dev diaries. He has the right mindset, in that he looks at a game like this as a set of interesting and/or difficult choices, and how to present them to the player.

No idea if he can execute those ideas well, of course. But I am very interested...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2019, 03:04:35 PM
I mean Panzer General and its clones are also often more of a puzzle game, but it feels more free form, and more forgiving, and makes for good beer/pretzels fodder. UoC feels like solving a sudoku.

Thanks, so that's why I didn't get on with it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2019, 03:17:53 PM

Is coming out this month. I am interested primarily because if the designers dev diaries. He has the right mindset, in that he looks at a game like this as a set of interesting and/or difficult choices, and how to present them to the player.

No idea if he can execute those ideas well, of course. But I am very interested...

I'm so far not sure why I would buy this when I have the Strategic Command: War in Europe and World at War.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Shadow Empire looks like it will be great.  I think I will wait to hear what Berkut thinks of Warplan before buying.

Humankind is definitely something I will be looking at when it is released.

Thanks to both of you for noting them  :)

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2019, 03:23:46 PM

I'm so far not sure why I would buy this when I have the Strategic Command: War in Europe and World at War.

SC is good, but in the end fails for me. It is too gimmicky, and too prone to being beatable by just playing the system. You see that with AARs where people are conquering the world and such.

I found that after the first play through, I was playing the system, rather than the war. So I haven't even picked it up again in a long time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2019, 04:31:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2019, 03:23:46 PM

SC is good, but in the end fails for me. It is too gimmicky, and too prone to being beatable by just playing the system. You see that with AARs where people are conquering the world and such.

I found that after the first play through, I was playing the system, rather than the war. So I haven't even picked it up again in a long time.

Also I was reading the designer's posts and he decided to build this game after building a mod for SC - he wanted a game that did all the things that SC and other computer games didn't have.  I am more intrigued now.  I hope he was able to execute his plans.