News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Oh I think you're right. The installer shows up as updated and is larger than my original setup file. Thanks! :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Are there no current, good golf games for the PC? Research seems to indicate that the pinnacle was Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, and that it's been seriously downhill since then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2012, 08:58:03 AM
Are there no current, good golf games for the PC? Research seems to indicate that the pinnacle was Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, and that it's been seriously downhill since then.

You need a motion sensor-ed consol. Tiger Woods works great even with my Wii (especially later editions which have support for that extra-sensitive Wii controller expansion). Huge fun.

Syt

I'm not going to buy a gadget for one game I play every now and then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Tried Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Is there a way to make the tooltips appear in the normal location instead of in the lower right corner of the screen? That's a dealbreaker to me, I won't play a game that goes out of its way to annoy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Bought and playing The Secret World, which has recently become a pay once, no-subscription game. I fuckin' love it until now. It's one of the most atmospheric MMORPGs I have played in a long while, almost on par with EVE Online. You can feel H.P. Lovecraft's inspiration seep through the game as I play through the first setting (aptly named Kingsmouth). Currently subbing a Swedish nerd/Lisbeth Salander-like character, who is both a Tremere wannabee (blood magic) and a cutter (blades), so she whacks with swords as much as she thaumaturges the shit out of zombies and Mayan Servants of One Deaths.

What I like is the versatility : I can choose to open up paths with other weapons anytime I want and there's no level per se. It is all skill points and ability points; right now my character is using blades and blood magic, but I can open up using, for example, claws, firsts, assaults rifles, hammer, shotguns, and chaos magic. Also, there are investigation missions, with puzzles and enigmas, whose clues need research done both in-game and on the real Internet (false websites have even been made by Funcom on the Internet), and sabotage/espionage missions in which you need to sneak without getting caught. It find it refreshing, it changes from the usual smack-all/kill-all missions and fetch quests in your run-of-the-mill MMORPG. It also does not pull punches, plenty of swear words and very mature subject matters in the dialogues. This is not WoW, and I hope it stays that way throughout the whole game. Sadly, PvP seems to be restricted to warzones and instances, which sucks.  :(

Plus, Kirsten Geary, the jaded valley girl contact/handler when you join the Illuminati, has some hilarious lines.  :lol:

The Brain

Played some Secret World (free weekend) when it was released. Never understood why it was a MMORPG. The concept screamed SP.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

LULZ, didn't know they had Diablo III servers in Shanghai.

QuoteGreetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Diablo III account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

Please open this connection:

If your account passes the check successfully, we will send this package of dynamic Battle.net Mobile Authenticator to you in the form of e-mail.

In 3 days after you receiving the e-mail, if you don't submit your information, we have right to freeze your account, every player is obligated to protect the safety of the account. You must work together with us to be determined to crack down all the behaviors of destroying games.

If you had already authenticator your account, please disregard this automatic notification.

Regards,

Account Administration Team

sbr

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Roguelike TOME has reached V1.0 (something most roguelikes never accomplish, even if they've been around for ages).

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/07/tome-is-where-the-heart-is-happy-new-roguelike/

QuoteIn 2013, I resolve to convince as many people as possible to play Roguelikes and I'll be particularly targeting those people who have never delved into the devious dungeons of '@' before. It's OK to admit that you've avoided them in the past because they look intimidating/crappy. TOME could be the gateway game you've been waiting for. It's a variant of one of the core roguelikes but when it reached version 1.0 recently something miraculous happened. Firstly, it actually reached 1.0, which is on a par with the parting of an ocean given how many of these wonder-works are fated to grow forever, passing from designer to designer. But more amazing still, TOME has neat graphics and a friendly interface. Download it immediately.

If you didn't download TOME immediately then please do so now, unless you're at work, in which case it's acceptable to wait until your lunch break. Take your lunch break immediately.

For a veteran dungeon diver such as myself, cynicism may creep in. Sure, it looks good, but when was that ever the point? And, hey, there's an optional mouse-driven interface but doesn't that mean the whole thing must be so dumbed down that it might as well be a third-person shooter? I haven't played enough to figure out precisely where TOME fits in my personal Roguelike charts, but I am impressed by how much variety it offers and the simple fact that I can almost definitely convince lots of people to try it. So far, like the best fantasy RPGs, I feel like it offers new worlds full of mystery and danger, and those are two of my favourite things.

I chose to be some sort of magical elf on my first attempt and found myself in a land of living crystals. When I died, after about five minutes, I started again as a human with a sword and a shield. Magic had failed me but cold steel wouldn't. That character began his quest in a trollmire, which looked like a forest except instead of squirrels and butterflies it was full of writhing masses of worms and, would you believe it, various types of troll. Although there's plenty of randomness, there are actual quests other than 'go down', and different races and classes have different objectives and areas to explore. Try them all! Except the ones you have to unlock. Work out how to unlock those instead by trying the others.

TOME isn't horribly confusing and it even has a tutorial but if you do feel a twinge of anxiety when it confronts you with its many possibilities and options, breathe, relax and experiment. The only wrong choice is 'quit'. Perhaps you've dabbled before. You can admit that here. Nobody will judge you, least of all an actual judge with a wig and a gavel. Maybe somebody was passing a paper full of Dredmor around behind the bike sheds one day and you took a drag on it and thought, hey this isn't so bad, I expected ASCII after-phlegm and an interface that punched me in the lung but the whole experience is far smoother and more pleasant than I'd ever have imagined. TOME is more traditional than Dredmor but is just as easy to use and to understand. It's also free, though lacking in humour and gargantuan eyebrows.

To add icing to the already delicious cake, the T-Engine4 on which TOME is built is ready for more modules right now. It's begging for them, whether they're totally new worlds, additional quests and scenarios, or something in between. It's a general purpose Roguelike engine and could spark a revolution, providing a simple means of creating and collating turn-based adventures. I'm already tempted to hibernate for much of 2013 just so I can see how many people embrace this and what they produce.

I'll probably write more soon, when I've spent more time with TOME itself, but I couldn't resist making this my first news post of the year. It's such a thrilling and potential-packed way to start what dunderheaded analysts are already failing to call 'The Year of the Roguelike', and it could mark the opening of a fantastic floodgate.

http://te4.org/

Screens:
http://te4.org/tome/screenshots

Downloads:
http://te4.org/download
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Hmm, that review seems a bit...Timmyesque in its enthusiasm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Does anyone know how to download steam bought games? Got some on the cheap over christmas expecting to download and play them when I got back to my proper computer but they're not showing up in my library for download...

I spent most of last night playing Faster Than Light. It is very very simple but oh so addictive.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 09, 2013, 07:05:38 PM
Does anyone know how to download steam bought games? Got some on the cheap over christmas expecting to download and play them when I got back to my proper computer but they're not showing up in my library for download...

I spent most of last night playing Faster Than Light. It is very very simple but oh so addictive.

Do you by accident have to accounts tied to different email addresses ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on January 09, 2013, 07:05:38 PM

That means the games you bought are not released/available in Japan.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.