News from the lovely world of the Games Industry.

Started by Syt, July 22, 2021, 02:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

It's ok, I don't understand your reasoning either and I am not sure how I can make myself more clear.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2024, 12:42:33 AMIt's ok, I don't understand your reasoning either and I am not sure how I can make myself more clear.

It is okay to let things go.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2024, 12:42:33 AMIt's ok, I don't understand your reasoning either and I am not sure how I can make myself more clear.

I'm not reasoning, I'm stating an aesthetic preference.

There's a certain volume of advertising in games beyond which I will find it off-putting ("terrible" is the word I used).

Thinking of EA's soccer game I'll easily accept ads that add to verisimilitude and doesn't interfere with gameplay (ads on jerseys, sideboards et.al.). I'm more skeptical of advertising that feels real, but interferes with the flow of gameplay (e.g. half-time product ads feel realistic, but the players probably want to manage their team in various ways so they can still be annoying); but if handled well it could be okay. And I can imagine implementations that are just awful.

How will turn out? Time will tell, but I can't say I'm supremely confident that EA will handle it in a way that I appreciate.

I understand why a corporation like EA finds the idea of selling advertising attractive. The potential upside is pretty big, the risks are relatively small. As a consumer of video games (though not EA Sports titles, so that example is academic) I'm skeptical, and worry that this is a step towards enshittifying a medium I enjoy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2024, 03:30:44 PM

I'm not reasoning, I'm stating an aesthetic preference.

There's a certain volume of advertising in games beyond which I will find it off-putting ("terrible" is the word I used).

Thinking of EA's soccer game I'll easily accept ads that add to verisimilitude and doesn't interfere with gameplay (ads on jerseys, sideboards et.al.). I'm more skeptical of advertising that feels real, but interferes with the flow of gameplay (e.g. half-time product ads feel realistic, but the players probably want to manage their team in various ways so they can still be annoying); but if handled well it could be okay. And I can imagine implementations that are just awful.

How will turn out? Time will tell, but I can't say I'm supremely confident that EA will handle it in a way that I appreciate.

I understand why a corporation like EA finds the idea of selling advertising attractive. The potential upside is pretty big, the risks are relatively small. As a consumer of video games (though not EA Sports titles, so that example is academic) I'm skeptical, and worry that this is a step towards enshittifying a medium I enjoy.

I am not sure why but you continue to miss the point of my first post. I don't quibble with your personal preference.  You made a comparison to sporting events which was not accurate.  Advertising is all over sporting events, from the branding on players and equipment be, to the branding that pops up in the commentary.  It is so prevalent we don't even notice it anymore.  We are a long way from the days when Nike had to pay a fine to the NBA when Jordan wore their red shoes.