News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 11, 2024, 08:09:35 AMI have a playtest credit for it and I don't think I will ever play the printed game. What an overburdened mess.

Suspicion confirmed. What a shame, it held some promise.

In other news I taught my oldest to play Pax Pamir and he trounced me and two other adults.

celedhring

That's a shame, I have a group of friends that are huge fans of Here I Stand and we were looking forward to this given the Iberian focus.

celedhring

Not a NEW boardgame, but I'm setting up a Rebellion game for May the 4th. It's gonna be 4 people and I'm not sure how well it will play with the official 4-player rules. The game seems definitely best as 1v1.

I know Habbaku was a Rebellion junkie back in the time so maybe he has some feedback, although I suspect he mostly played it 1v1.

Habbaku

I have, indeed, only played 1 v. 1, many many times. I can't recommend the 4-player rules-set because of that and am pretty leery of it being worthwhile.

Similar to Dune: War for Arrakis and War of the Ring, the games are initially designed as 2-player and it seems to me that the 4-player rules are tacked on as a marketing ploy.

I do hope it works out, regardless. I also recommend playing out a turn or two solo so you don't encounter too many stumbles if you're teaching the game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I was going to run a few turns to freshen up the rules, since it's been a while since I last played it.