Supreme Court strikes down most of Arizona immigration law

Started by garbon, June 25, 2012, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/06/-supreme-court-strikes-down-most-of-arizona-immigration-law/1#.T-h1u7VYuSo

QuoteThe Supreme Court today struck down most of Arizona's controversial law aimed at cracking down on illegal immigrants.

The court left standing only the "check your papers" part of the law that requires state and local police to perform roadside immigration checks of people they've stopped or detained if a "reasonable suspicion" exists they are in the country illegally.

The court indicated that that would face further scrutiny.

The court rejected the parts of the law that making it a state crime for illegal immigrants not to possess their federal registration cards; for illegal imigrants to work, apply for work or solicit work; and a section that allowed state and local police to arrest illegal immigrants without a warrant when probable cause exists that they committed "any public offense that makes the person removable from the United States."

The law, known as SB1010, has become a flashpoint for the debate over how to enforce immigration in the U.S. and served as a blueprint for similar laws in five other states - Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, South Carolina and Utah.

President Obama called the Arizona law "misguided" and his Department of Justice sued the state. Former Massachusetts governor and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said he would drop the federal lawsuit against Arizona and adopted the Arizona-inspired idea of making life so difficult for illegal immigrants that they choose to "self-deport."

Four key provisions of the law were blocked by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton in Phoenix, a ruling that was upheld by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court in San Francisco. The Supreme Court agreed to hear the case, and both sides held oral arguments on April 25.

Sponsors said the law was necessary because the federal government has failed to control the influx of illegal immigrants into the country, forcing states like Arizona to grapple with the security concerns and high costs of educating and caring for illegal immigrants. They said the law simply empowers police and state officials to help enforce federal immigration laws.

Opponents said it unfairly criminalizes otherwise law-abiding people, opens the door for racial profiling of Hispanics legally in the country and forces state law enforcement to interfere with the intricacies of federal immigration policy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Sheilbh

I was on Twitter when this new broke.  I saw two headlines: 'Supreme court strikes down most of Arizona immigration law' and 'US Supreme Court upholds key part of tough Arizona immigration law, in defeat for Obama'.  Election years :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2012, 10:04:55 AM
I was on Twitter when this new broke.  I saw two headlines: 'Supreme court strikes down most of Arizona immigration law' and 'US Supreme Court upholds key part of tough Arizona immigration law, in defeat for Obama'.  Election years :lol:

Which twitter feed said the latter? Fox news?

Would I be cynical to think this is political cover for wrecking health care?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

The key part opponents of the bill objected to was upheld:  The requirement that all people arrested have their immigration status checked, while the parts that were overturned were penalties that were at the periphery of the issue were thrown out.  Although even in upholding the central statute the SC was very narrow, leaving room for future lawsuits if it can be shown to violate individual rights.  Overall it is a narrow win for the enforcement side, albeit one that could prove temporary.

The Minsky Moment

Of course it is a great conservative victory, which explains why Scalia, Thomas and Alito all dissented.   :huh:

Even on 2B it was not an unvarnished win for Arizona, because the Court merely said it was premature to make a facial challenge without first finding out how the state would apply and implement.  The Court left open the window for future challenges.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Even the Supreme Court can't decide whether illegal immigration is actually illegal or not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on June 25, 2012, 02:38:28 PM
Even the Supreme Court can't decide whether illegal immigration is actually illegal or not.

Yeah, but only as far as states are concerned.  At the federal level it's definitely illegal, and the feds are asserting their authority to do a shitty job of enforcing the law.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Sheriff Joe should definitely investigate Beiber  :menace:

This dude's sarcasm is great.  :lol:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rep-gutierrez-rips-arizona-immigration-law-191856141.html

Video
http://d.yimg.com/nl/ytv/cbs/player.html#vid=29818656&browseCarouselUI=hide
QuoteRep. Gutierrez rips Arizona immigration law
By Mike Krumboltz | The Ticket – Thu, Jun 28, 2012

Justin Bieber is many things: Singer, actor ... Canadian? It's true! And Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-Ill.) used the Bieb's Canadian ancestry to make a point about the controversial Arizona immigration law.

Gutierrez, who is against the law that allows Arizona law enforcement officials to ask those deemed suspicious for proof of American citizenship, raised the point on the House floor that judging whether or not somebody is from the U.S. based on appearance is illogical and silly. And, he argues, rather difficult.

He used Justin Bieber and girlfriend Selena Gomez as examples. Gutierrez played a game called, "Pick the immigrant." With great sarcasm, he addressed the House floor.

"I'm sure Justin helped Gomez learn American customs and feel more at home in her adopted country. Oh, wait a minute, I'm sorry. Because I'm not a trained Arizona official, I somehow got that backwards. Actually, Ms. Gomez of Texas has helped Mr. Bieber of Canada learn about his adopted country. Justin, when you perform in Phoenix, remember to bring your papers."

Gutierrez used several more examples, including Ted Koppel (born in England) and Geraldo Rivera (Brooklyn), and hoops stars Jeremy Lin (Los Angeles) and Tony Parker (Belgium). Gutierrez closed by saying, "The idea that any government official can determine who belongs in America and who doesn't simply by looking at them is completely ridiculous, unfair and un-American, and yet this absurdity is the law of Arizona."

You can watch Gutierrez's full presentation below.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

I used to love it when acquaintances would go on and on about illegal immigrants in this country to Max, knowing he was Canadian. "Oh, not like you. After all, you're Canadian!"  Right, because Canada is really just another state, not its own nation or anything. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2012, 08:14:04 PM
I used to love it when acquaintances would go on and on about illegal immigrants in this country to Max, knowing he was Canadian. "Oh, not like you. After all, you're Canadian!"  Right, because Canada is really just another state, not its own nation or anything. :D
Max isn't an illegal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I'd like to see open season the stream of Canucks streaming down I-75 every winter.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son