Woman sues Little League player after being hit in face with ball

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2012, 02:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I do love having my own personal copy of the All ERs (up to 1981). -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

hey, thats my town. :lol:
Sounds like a pretty stupid decision was made there. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2012, 11:44:02 PM
hey, thats my town. :lol:
Sounds like a pretty stupid decision was made there. :hmm:
It seems reasonable.  Faggots who hate people playing cricket should kill themselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

BTW, I'm inferring (yes, I realize that's dangerous ground where torts are concerned), but one of the comments in the article suggests the defendants' theory is that the kid was practicing catching with a partner and overshot a throw to the partner which ended up hitting the woman.  Since fastballs are a part of the sport, that seems reasonable enough to me- I'm with AR on the risk assumption theory.  If balls always hit their target exactly, there would be no game; ignoring the risk of a stray ball doesn't pass the reasonable man standard, IMO.
Experience bij!

fhdz

She probably ought to be hit with more baseballs, not fewer.
and the horse you rode in on

Richard Hakluyt

It is a frequent whine BB, someone buys a house adjoining a village cricket ground and then throws a fit when a window gets broken. Which is insanely counter-productive of course as all the villagers instantly hate the whinging incomer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

The bottomline is that there is damage done at a conflict of two legal interests here, so whether the lawsuit is justified or not, it is certainly not frivolous and merits a trial.

Admiral Yi

Kid must have a pretty good arm if he can break the bitch's face with a wild throw back to the pitcher.

Gups

Love Denning's prose.

His judgements were sometimes a bit dubious but always so readable.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2012, 11:24:00 PM
I wish I could remember the name - there's a Lord Denning decision which deals with an errant cricket ball, where he waxes eloquent on the beauty of cricket (and of course finds no negligence for an errant cricket ball)...
Miller v Jones, which I think is to do with nuisance and now considered a bit dodgy.

There's another judgement about a woman being hit by a cricket ball, Bolton v Stone, which I also think is Denning...
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2012, 04:34:50 AM
Kid must have a pretty good arm if he can break the bitch's face with a wild throw back to the pitcher.

You seen the size of kids these days? Holy shit. The hormones in the milk are producing a breed of super-child.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

We don't play cricket but have similar problems with the Portland airport and auto race track.  People buy houses near them, presumably cheap because of the noise then bitch about the noise.

That's probably everywhere though.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on June 25, 2012, 03:45:55 AM
The bottomline is that there is damage done at a conflict of two legal interests here, so whether the lawsuit is justified or not, it is certainly not frivolous and merits a trial.

:blink: Again, I'm taking it that the kid didn't intentionally lob the ball in the woman's face, but I can't think of any way the kid and his parents should be held liable for this.  If you discount the "intention" to throw the ball in the woman's face (and if she was injured that badly, why isn't there mention of a police report for assault and battery?), I see potential for two torts, and both fall squarely on the Little League:

1) Assuming a reasonable assumption of risk, like me and AR, accidents should be considered foreseeable, and should be insured by the Little League.  The Little League inadequately insured the event (and honestly, what event DOESN'T have some kind of bulk insurance on the spectators? This seems like a slam dunk to me), and should be held liable for such.

2) Assuming a reasonable assumption of spectator safety (which I don't- it's a physical sporting event, and there's going to ALWAYS be some risk- see hockey players that break through the glass), the Little League should be held liable for inadequate protective facilities.  Again, the kids' parents are volunteers and shouldn't be held liable for the facilities that are most likely provided by the Little League or a third-party property owner; either way, since it's a Little League game, Little League should have oversight responsibility to make sure the facilities are safe.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014