News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows Surface

Started by garbon, June 19, 2012, 09:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

It's more than likely we'll end up with a win8 tablet at work so I really hope it won't suck. The win7 prototypes they're testing are horrible though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 04:12:27 PM
It will certainly be interesting, depending on how committed MS is when they launch this turkey, how the market will react.

Would MS backpedal from a Windows-user backlash?
Will Windows users simply adapt?
Or will they just say "well, fuck it, guess I might as well go all-Apple then", and throw the balance all the way to Apple in the PC market as well.

I doubt the latter will happen. Windows users generally seem to be an adaptable bunch though we'll probably hold on to an older version as long as possible. Only just now did I get Windows 7 at work - still had been on XP!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

If anything gives me hope that Windows 7 will last quite some time is that there is probably no way the DoD will figure out Windows 8. 

MadImmortalMan

Some peeps at my wife's office already discussing replacing their work PCs with this thing. I think that's...unwise.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 07:07:54 PM
If anything gives me hope that Windows 7 will last quite some time is that there is probably no way the DoD will figure out Windows 8.

My corner of the DoD hadn't even figured out Windows 7 yet when I left.

MadBurgerMaker

Hell, I can't believe they've even gotten up to 7.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 19, 2012, 11:47:05 PM

Hell, I can't believe they've even gotten up to 7.

Not all of it has.  :P

Syt

I like W7 very much and am not convinced of the Smartphone/tablet interface for desktop use. I'm using a mouse, not  touch screen (and my screen is almost two feet away from me).

I will keep watching for any signs of accomodating a more "traditional" or less messy interface. Maybe that'll mean having to wait for Win9.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Win8 design currently kinda reminds me of their failed attempts at accessibility with MS-BOB.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 04:12:27 PM
It will certainly be interesting, depending on how committed MS is when they launch this turkey, how the market will react.

Would MS backpedal from a Windows-user backlash?
Will Windows users simply adapt?
Or will they just say "well, fuck it, guess I might as well go all-Apple then", and throw the balance all the way to Apple in the PC market as well.

Honestly, if Windows 8 operates as fugly as I think it looks...I will probably cling onto 7 as long as it's supported, and then just go with my third option.  I am already somewhat familiar with the Mac interface on my laptop (even though I think Windows 7 is significantly superior).  Maybe I am just too old to care to learn tablet-crap for a desktop...and I think it's fine for an iPad-type device, but I need my classic PC.  :(

If I do have to go full-Apple, it also sucks that Mac Pro is dwindling away.  I blame stupid kids (who lack the desire to tinker with components) these days.  :mad:
Win8 is the experiment, and the life-cycle will be like Vista in that respect.  They'll extend the Win7 support timeline and Win9 will be the next real release.  They know that enterprise users on which they depend (as no large business can use Apple shit in case they need some sort of custom application programmed) have for the large part just switched to 7 after bypassing Vista altogether, and they're not going to change OSes again so soon.  Especially since Win8 is so fucked up that it will require a ground-up retraining of absolutely everyone.  This is just an attempt to get into the tablet market coupled with a very public beta for Win9.

Personally, I think that Microsoft has miscalculated.  Touchscreen doesn't really bring anything to the desktop, and attempting to adopt a more tablet-like interface doesn't make sense in a mature computer interface.  And that's the thing:  It is mature.  They've found a pretty good balance with the Windows concept that they've been tinkering with for 20 years now, and everyone on the planet is now familiar with the concept of how to operate a Windows PC.  Why stray from the path?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I'm going to backpedal a bit on my "cover as a keyboard is brilliant!" comment.

The cover as keyboard goes along with a built in kickstand.  Which means in the end they expect you to use it on a flat surface.  We almost never use the iPad on a flat surface.  Instead it is used on the couch, in bed, in the car, or any other time when you're definitely not sitting at a desk.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2012, 09:21:53 AM

The cover as keyboard goes along with a built in kickstand.  Which means in the end they expect you to use it on a flat surface.  We almost never use the iPad on a flat surface.  Instead it is used on the couch, in bed, in the car, or any other time when you're definitely not sitting at a desk.

I don't see why a removable cover makes it unable to perform as a tablet. That you can use it as conveniently as a laptop when you are at a desk is a plus in my book.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Confirmed, we're getting a win8 tablet for work. That'll be fun. On the plus side our IT department probably won't have it working until late 2013.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2012, 09:21:53 AM

Apparently the cover/keyboard is disabled when you fold it back behind the thing to use as a tablet.  You aren't required to use the cover/keyboard and the stand.   As Liep says, it's not that it can't be used as a tablet, it's that it can be used as a little laptop in addition to being used as a tablet.

I am intrigued by the one that is coming out later with a full version of Windows.  I've read that you can disable the stupid "Metro" part of Windows fairly easily, although I'm not sure I would do that on a touchscreen device like this.  It isn't so bad on my wife's phone.  On a desktop?  Metro is never happening.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 20, 2012, 11:38:48 PMOn a desktop?  Metro is never happening.

Agreed.

I have heard that there are certain functions for which metro is required because the desktop itself functions as merely one of many metro apps. That makes you flip in and out between metro and the desktop a lot on a PC. And the start menu is gone. Hopefully, they will give us some settings to re-desktopize it for the PC. In and out of metro does not sound appealing at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers