News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jutland

Started by 11B4V, June 18, 2012, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

QuoteQuote from: Cecil on August 27, 2009, 11:35:43 am
Yeah these two morons just about ruined this thread.

Grumbler's broadside
When you have spent some time here, you will find that these thread drifts are quite common.  If that bothers you, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

:lol: Love it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2012, 12:24:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 18, 2012, 09:47:30 PM
Anyone played this here?

http://stormpowered.stormeaglestudios.com/games/5776/index.asp

Yeah, I DL'd the demo ages ago, it's a total blast to play;  but yeah, as Syt noted, the DRM requires mandatory log-in to their server once a week, or you lose your license.  It's a real pain in the ass to get it back;  so you better take your laptop with you on that 9-day vacation to the Gobi.

The campaign game for all of WW1 is apparently very immersive.  We have had a thread on it before, probably on one of the lost Languish servers.

edit: here it is
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,1995.0.html

oh boy that was a fun, fun battle.

Neil

I wish a real company had made that game.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Well, there's Steam & Iron:

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/showthread.php?2328-INFORMATION-AND-DOWNLOADS-THREAD

QuoteGame features:
* Tactical - operational scale. Scenarios last from an hour up to several days.
* Continuous action in one minute segments.
* Covers any naval battle in World War One, from a single ship duel to the battle of Jutland.
* Includes submarines, minefields and air recon.
* Realistic command and control.
* Nations included: Germany, Britain, Italy, Russia, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, France.
* Individual ships accurately modelled with armor, guns, torpedo protection etc.
* Realistic hit and damage results, including critical hits on rudder, fire control, bridge etc.
* Strong AI.
* Accurately modelled weather, night and day and visibility effects.
* Comand options range from Admiral's mode with realistic FOW and command and control limitations, to captain's mode where most aspects and details can be controlled by the player.
* Mission objectives include sinking enemy ships, minelaying, bombardment and flying off airstrikes.
* Fight battles anywhere in the world.
* Scenario and ship editor included.
* Battle generator included with a range of setup options.

>> Scenarios include: <<
The Goeben
Heligoland Bight
Coronel
The Emden
The Falklands
Scarborough
Dogger Bank
The Bosporus
Jutland
Otranto
2d Heligoland Bight
and more!

(includes link to playable demo, have to scroll down)

No idea how good it is, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2012, 02:19:49 PM
Well, there's Steam & Iron:

No idea how good it is, though.

In this day and age I would only get something like this in 3d. Not saying its a bad game.

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3177/pc-game-review-steam-and-iron-the-great-war-at-sea
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

That's just my speed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.