News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jutland

Started by 11B4V, June 18, 2012, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

All I remember about the game was  a massive backlash about its DRM (you have to log into their servers once a week) that was causing people lots of problems and the devs' less than courteous replies at times along the lines, "If DRM doesn't work for you, you either suck or are a pirate!". No idea if this still persists.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Yeah, I've been wanting to try it for a few years, but I refuse to buy it with such a ridiculous DRM. Their first game about the russo-japanese war was pretty good, but also had some insane DRM. If I want to reinstall it I have to e-mail them so they can release the code, otherwise it won't run.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

szmik

from the rules of their forum
QuoteAll suggestions and ideas posted here immediately become the intellectual property of Storm Eagle Studios. By posting suggestions and ideas on this forum, you hereby forfeit any and all rights to the suggestion and/or idea submitted.

:nelson:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Syt

Quote from: szmik on June 18, 2012, 11:49:21 PM
from the rules of their forum
QuoteAll suggestions and ideas posted here immediately become the intellectual property of Storm Eagle Studios. By posting suggestions and ideas on this forum, you hereby forfeit any and all rights to the suggestion and/or idea submitted.

:nelson:

Pretty standard, I think. Paradox has a similar rule (caused a bit of a row in the AAR forums in 2002 or 2003).
—Stephen Jay Gould

szmik

I realize no one is going to pay me for my excellent suggestions on games I play  <_< but it's still funny how companies pirate your ideas into their games (free beta testing for example) and you can't do anything about it
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Habbaku

The only winning move is not to play.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Great imput guys. The only other Naval sim I've played was Fighting Steel. Still got it down stairs.

WTF  :huh:

http://www.amazon.com/Mindscape-54021-Fighting-Steel/dp/B00002S5Q0
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

That's nothing. I recently wanted to re-buy a DVD box that I hadn't picked up from an ex-girlfriend of mine and who I can't contact anymore. Turns out it's 200-250 EUR now (I originally paid 30). <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 18, 2012, 09:47:30 PM
Anyone played this here?

http://stormpowered.stormeaglestudios.com/games/5776/index.asp

Yeah, I DL'd the demo ages ago, it's a total blast to play;  but yeah, as Syt noted, the DRM requires mandatory log-in to their server once a week, or you lose your license.  It's a real pain in the ass to get it back;  so you better take your laptop with you on that 9-day vacation to the Gobi.

The campaign game for all of WW1 is apparently very immersive.  We have had a thread on it before, probably on one of the lost Languish servers.

edit: here it is
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,1995.0.html

11B4V

Neil

I want to play those so bad, but I assume they're full of Russian malware.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 07:41:37 AM
That thread is a navaltards wet dream  FEAR GOD AND DREAD ORGASMS

I had completely forgotten that thread and Ape's weaseling.  Fun times.  I do enjoy those "get into the grit of things" debates, though it isn't as much fun when the other side just ignores the evidence because it doesn't correspond to their preconceptions.  The best line was where he claimed he checked my source out of the library, when he'd been claiming to use it for days beforehand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!