News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Time for a thread to carry the preparations and results from the 2012 Olympics ?

Oh, and what sports if any are you intending to see/follow ?

I shall endeavour to follow some of the cycling events, the women's vole vault, bits of the marathon and probably out of a perverse sense of 'end of empire' I shall follow the progress of Team GB in the football with patriotic fever.  :P

Who's going to occupy the top 10 places in the meddle table ? 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

I'll probably follow most of it. USA will get most 'meddles'. Mostly looking forward to the track cycling events.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

I saw on the news this morning that trampoline is an Olympic sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWZ624wBVA

WTF
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

The Olympics have finally reached London.  Because the IOC and terribly boring pseudo-sports are the enemies of civilized people, this is probably a bad thing.

The London Olympics need to be sterilized.  If that means we have to lose The Princess Royal, so be it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2012, 05:28:29 PM
The Olympics have finally reached London.  Because the IOC and terribly boring pseudo-sports are the enemies of civilized people, this is probably a bad thing.

The London Olympics need to be sterilized.  If that means we have to lose The Princess Royal, so be it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Beach volleyball.

[do I need to say women's beach volleyball or is that obvious?]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on June 18, 2012, 05:35:57 PM
Beach volleyball.

Normally, Yes, ..... but iirc the 'beaches' for the competition are on Horseguards, Whitehall, so that'll be a bit odd.

Plus someone like Neil will be permanently distracted by the splendour of the admiralty buildings.   :bowler:

edit:
It'll look like this:

http://www.london2012.com/venue/horse-guards-parade/
:huh:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Beach volleyball.

I dunno...in the contest between indoor volleyball shorts and beach volleyball bikinis, I favor the shorts. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 18, 2012, 07:04:32 PM
Beach volleyball.

I dunno...in the contest between indoor volleyball shorts and beach volleyball bikinis, I favor the shorts. :hmm:

Oh, yeah, that's pretty hot too. As long as its women.

Liep

Beach volleyball.

Indoor volleyball is also the more interesting sport. If that matters.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

That beach volleyball arena is disrupting the shit out of the road my office is on.

I have tickets for the women's water polo quarters, and the men's fours rowing final.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on June 19, 2012, 05:28:22 AM
Beach volleyball.

Indoor volleyball is also the more interesting sport. If that matters.

LOL
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

mongers

I'm considering going to see the men's road race, but it means either standing in the outer reaches of London, say Kew to see them pass once or paying £150-£200 for a ticket just to line the route closer into the finish at Hyde Park, Constitution Hill, to see them pass once, possibly catching a bit of the finish.

The other alternative is to drag my arse out to the wilds of Surrey at some ungodly hour, like the day before and hope to occupy a nice roadside sport somewhere to the East of Guilford to catch them 5-6 times climb the approach to a non-PDH approved hill.  :hmm: