Austria pulls out of CERN, or: Austrian politicians are retards.

Started by Syt, May 08, 2009, 01:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Austria to pull out of European CERN institute
QuoteVIENNA (AFP) — Austria is pulling out of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN), Science Minister Johannes Hahn announced Thursday, citing budget concerns.

The 20-million-euro (26.9-million-dollar) yearly membership in CERN -- which is responsible for Europe's Big Bang atom-smasher -- makes up 70 percent of the money available in Austria for participation in international institutes and could be better used to fund other European projects, he said.

"I feel bad about every membership that we cannot keep up," Hahn told journalists.

But a choice had to be made between continuing work with CERN or encouraging other prospects for the future, he added.

Hahn said he hoped Austria could find "a new kind of cooperation" with CERN and described Vienna's withdrawal from the project as a "pause", noting that some 30 states were already working together with the Geneva-based centre without being members.

The science ministry was aiming "to enhance Austria's research profile" by participating in a variety of projects across a wide range of disciplines, and while CERN's work was high-profile, Austria's role in it was rather limited, said Hahn.

The newly-available funds will now allow Austria to take part in new European projects, boost its participation in old ones as well as help the Austrian Science Fund (FWF), the country's main organisation funding research.

But top Austrian scientists criticised the move Thursday, just months before the CERN is due to relaunch the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a 27-kilometre (17-mile) multi-billion-dollar underground particle accelerator designed to shed light on the "Big Bang."

"This is a catastrophe," said renowned Vienna physicist Walter Thirring, who headed CERN's theory group from 1968 to 1971, warning that other states could follow Austria in pulling out of the organisation.

The head of the Austrian Institute of High Energy Physics, Christian Fabjan, meanwhile called it a "black day for Austrian research."

Austria, which has been a member of CERN since 1959, just needs formal approval from parliament and the government now to pull out of the organisation. Its membership could then end officially in late 2010.

Overall a marketing stunt. Instead of participating in a large international program where the Austrian contribution "is drowned out" they prefer to divert it to smaller, less significant studies where they can later proclaim, "Austria is the world's leading contributor".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 01:08:46 AM
Overall a marketing stunt. Instead of participating in a large international program where the Austrian contribution "is drowned out" they prefer to divert it to smaller, less significant studies where they can later proclaim, "Austria is the world's leading contributor".
Don't diss the schnitzel studies.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

vinraith

That's a real bummer for Austrian high energy physicists.

Syt

Btw, this comes from the ministry that has on its web page "selected contents in sign language" (presumably for the deaf who know sign language but can't read?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 01:16:11 AM
Btw, this comes from the ministry that has on its web page "selected contents in sign language" (presumably for the deaf who know sign language but can't read?).

:lol:

Of course, I applaud Austria's decision not to fund the end of the world. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

Maybe sign language versions of video clips.

Syt

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 08, 2009, 01:25:03 AM

Maybe sign language versions of video clips.

Again: subtitles?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

According to a colleague of mine who knows sign language it actually makes sense. She said that people who were born deaf have major problems with written grammar; sign language uses a different set of grammar rules.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DisturbedPervert

Like on tv sometimes, when they have a sign language speaker translating that they put in the corner of the screen.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 01:35:27 AM
According to a colleague of mine who knows sign language it actually makes sense. She said that people who were born deaf have major problems with written grammar; sign language uses a different set of grammar rules.

I've heard that too.  I occasionally go to internet cafes, and sometimes there are deaf people using them to chat online.  They usually don't type, they use the webcam to sign at the people they are chatting with.

Syt

Anyways, regarding CERN the minister is quoted, "In such projects the visibility of small countries or single scientists is very low."

As said: marketing stunt. Austria, future benefactor of the projects no one else wants to fund!
—Stephen Jay Gould

Pishtaco

Good. Bloody physicists. The marketing stunt here is CERN itself. Why is it a good idea to spend 70% of your international budget on a hole in the ground?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 01:35:27 AM
Not sure about Euro sign language, but American Sign Language is most closely related to Navajo, grammatically; there's some pretty wide differences.
Experience bij!

Syt

Austrian scientific community is frothing. They are "a bit" angry that Austria, after being in CERN for 50 years, decides to quit shortly before the LHC goes fully operational.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 07:19:36 AM
Austrian scientific community is frothing. They are "a bit" angry that Austria, after being in CERN for 50 years, decides to quit shortly before the LHC goes fully operational.

I thought it was suppose to be fully operational five years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017