Israel to put 50,000 Africans in detention camps

Started by jimmy olsen, June 15, 2012, 12:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

How did this not get posted her yet?

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-put-thousands-africans-detention-camp-184419459.html
QuoteIsrael to put thousands of Africans in detention camp

AFP – Fri, Jun 8, 2012

Israel's interior minister said on Friday he hoped to soon start moving tens of thousands of illegal African migrants from Tel Aviv and elsewhere to a detention camp being built and a planned "tent city."

An Israeli court cleared the way on Thursday for the deportation of an estimated 1,500 South Sudanese, after ruling that their lives were no longer threatened in their homeland.

Interior Minister Eli Yishai told public radio 40,000 Sudanese and Eritreans were next in his sights.

"There are still about 15,000 from north Sudan and some 35,000 from Eritrea," he said. "I am not allowed to get them out at the moment."

He said he expected legal obstacles would be removed and that the government was also offering a grant to those prepared to leave voluntarily.

"They are close to being expelled either willingly or against their will," he said. "This is a number that threatens the Jewish identity."

As a first step, he said, illegals would be rounded up and moved to a detention centre being built in southern Israel at a projected cost of 250 million shekels ($6.7 million, 5.4 million euros).

"As soon as the facility is completed, which could be in a few months -- and alongside it we plan to put up a tent city with all the accepted conditions -- then we shall start moving migrants from south Tel Aviv, from (the Red Sea town of) Eilat ... wherever they are."

The rising number of Africans in Israel has hit the headlines in recent weeks, after a spike in racial tensions led to a riot in southern Tel Aviv, where tens of thousands of migrants live.

Interior ministry statistics show that approximately 60,000 African immigrants have entered Israel illegally, the vast majority of them from Sudan and Eritrea.

Some are refugees fleeing persecution in their home nations, but others are economic migrants.

Yishai said he estimated a further 6,000 may have sneaked across the border from Egypt undetected.

"I hope that in the coming months we shall be able to move all the infiltrators to detention facilities and allow Israeli citizens in south Tel Aviv and others to live in a proper way ... in quiet and security," he added.

Israel is building a giant, hi-tech security barrier along its 240-kilometre (150-mile) border with the Egyptian Sinai.

So far 170 kilometres have been erected and the project is due to be completed later this year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

That's not as bad as other of his comments 'most of those people arriving here are Muslims who think the country doesn't belong to us, the white man'.

The Foreign Minister, Lieberman, said that he was close to doing a deal with many African nations on deportation.  He said that inflammatory language like Yishai's made diplomacy more difficult.  I can't think of any other Israeli cabinet minister that could apply too :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I can't really fault Israel on this one.  With today's commodity prices, 1,500,000 pieces of silver is nothing to sneeze at.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2012, 12:31:13 AM
That's not as bad as other of his comments 'most of those people arriving here are Muslims who think the country doesn't belong to us, the white man'.

That's funny - a Jew thinking he is white.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2012, 01:32:40 AM

On the point of race and specifically Sephardi identity I found this quite interesting:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/07/white-like-me.html
A snippet:
QuoteYishai's comments illustrate the awful paradox of contemporary Sephardi (or more accurately, Mizrahi) identity. As in my own family, Jews from Arab lands were long seen by their haughty Ashkenazi cousins as, well, Arabs. Intra-Jewish bigotry has certainly declined since Israel's early years, when David Ben Gurion said that Israel's Mizrahi immigrants had "no Jewish education." But it persists. A Mizrahi friend who speaks Hebrew with the guttural pronunciation indigenous to the Middle East recently told me that he is routinely hassled at Ben Gurion airport because his Hebrew sounds too much like Arabic. In her fascinating book, We Look Like the Enemy, Rachel Shabi tells of swarthy Mizrahi Jews who in order to avoid being mistaken for Palestinians by the Israeli police begin wearing kippot or Jewish stars.

And historically, Israel's Mizrahi Jews haven't just been deemed Arabs. They've been deemed black. In Israel's early years, Shabi notes, Yiddish-speaking Ashkenazi Jews sometimes called their Mizrahi counterparts "Schwarz." In 1971, a group of radical Mizrahi activists even appropriated the term, calling themselves the "Black Panthers."

Now along comes Yishai, the leader of Shas--a party born to give voice to the very Mizrahi Jews long considered black--to declare that Israel must expel its African migrants because Israel is for "us, the white man." (As you might imagine given the gendered language, Yishai doesn't have particularly enlightened ideas about women either).
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

I'm sorry but jews rounding up people and putting them in camps is just not right. If any group with a racial or cultural memory should know not to do this it is them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2012, 04:19:54 AM
I'm sorry but jews rounding up people and putting them in camps is just not right. If any group with a racial or cultural memory should know not to do this it is them.

They get a pass on this one, as nobody enjoys living with a shitload of Sudanese and Eritreans.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2012, 06:51:00 AM

They get a pass on this one, as nobody enjoys living with a shitload of Sudanese and Eritreans.

Besides, they stink and eat up all the chickens.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 15, 2012, 06:56:56 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2012, 06:51:00 AM

Besides, they stink and eat up all the chickens.

And they're loud what with all their tribal bunga-bunga shit, and they're similar to Tribbles, born pregnant.

katmai

And Seedy says he's a friend of the community, tsk, tsk.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Sounds like a poorly managed (operationally and PR-wise) detention and deportation scheme.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2012, 01:41:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2012, 01:32:40 AM

On the point of race and specifically Sephardi identity I found this quite interesting:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/07/white-like-me.html
A snippet:
QuoteYishai's comments illustrate the awful paradox of contemporary Sephardi (or more accurately, Mizrahi) identity. As in my own family, Jews from Arab lands were long seen by their haughty Ashkenazi cousins as, well, Arabs. Intra-Jewish bigotry has certainly declined since Israel's early years, when David Ben Gurion said that Israel's Mizrahi immigrants had "no Jewish education." But it persists. A Mizrahi friend who speaks Hebrew with the guttural pronunciation indigenous to the Middle East recently told me that he is routinely hassled at Ben Gurion airport because his Hebrew sounds too much like Arabic. In her fascinating book, We Look Like the Enemy, Rachel Shabi tells of swarthy Mizrahi Jews who in order to avoid being mistaken for Palestinians by the Israeli police begin wearing kippot or Jewish stars.

And historically, Israel's Mizrahi Jews haven't just been deemed Arabs. They've been deemed black. In Israel's early years, Shabi notes, Yiddish-speaking Ashkenazi Jews sometimes called their Mizrahi counterparts "Schwarz." In 1971, a group of radical Mizrahi activists even appropriated the term, calling themselves the "Black Panthers."

Now along comes Yishai, the leader of Shas--a party born to give voice to the very Mizrahi Jews long considered black--to declare that Israel must expel its African migrants because Israel is for "us, the white man." (As you might imagine given the gendered language, Yishai doesn't have particularly enlightened ideas about women either).

No words. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on June 15, 2012, 07:05:07 AM
And Seedy says he's a friend of the community, tsk, tsk.

My community ain't Djibouti, babe.