News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FYI for Combat Mission

Started by 11B4V, June 13, 2012, 04:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 09:15:24 AM
The restriction of the scope just seems like such artificial bullshit.

Cant faultthe above. Seems to be the way of things today.

But as long as they keep putting out a good product in CM, I'll buy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2012, 09:15:24 AM
Man, I loved CM so much. Probably still my favorite game of all time.

And yet, I cannot get excited about this at all. The restriction of the scope just seems like such artificial bullshit.

Which is fine to some degree - they have to make their money, and I get that. But to this extent? A game system that spanned all of WW2 in Europe reduced to this tiny slice of the pie?

Plus modules. CM Shockforce + Marines + UK + NATO. CMBN + Commonwealth. CMFI (+ Brits? + Fallschirmjäger?). At 25 bucks per module it's no exactly cheap, either.

Besides the lack of scope with the newer games, there's also the distinct lack of customizable random maps for some quick fun.

I admit CMBB may have spoiled me for other games of its kind. "More than 60 detailed units" (Achtung Panzer: Operation Star)? Pff.

I've gotten more mileage out of Steel Panthers 1&2, CMx1 games and the TOAW series than any other wargame because of their scope. Whenever I had an itch for playing anything between WW2 and WW3 I knew where to go without having to shell out big bucks for a specialized game.

Granted, a more focused can cover more detail, but often I don't need that. Usually I will get into a mood for something because I read or watched something about a topic and it only needs a scenario or two to "get it out of the system".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Anyhoo

Continuing with the fifth and final scenario.

The Panzer battlegroup moves out to seize a vital crossroads before the final push to the Psel River. Expected enemy are a depleted tank regiment, elements of a anti-tank artillery brigade and infantry support.

The group's Tiger leads the charge at 12mph.  :rolleyes:

Contact is made a long range. One Pz IV is knocked out by a T-34 on the far ridge playing peek-a-boo. The Tiger and a Pz III move forward using terrain to hunt him down. The Recce detachment overwatches at long range and engages any infantry positions that stick their heads out.

The right wing of the Panzer group is engaged at long range by a couple Russian Pak Fronts. Two PzIV's are put out of action as they crest the rise.

Not wanting to fight the Pakfront at long range, the right wing angles left, behind a low ridge crest and shoots for a gap leading into a small valley.

As the first PzIV moves through the gap, A T-34 reveals itself and is engaged by the three Pv IV's and dispatched quickly. To the upper left the Tiger is seen moving up the ridgeline looking for the swine peek-a-booing T-34.

*From the Russian perspective*

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

I got to get used to this interface.   :mad:

Razgovory

I can't figure out German or Commonwealth organization.  Brits and Canadians often have some officers or small groups of men who don't serve any purpose.  It doesn't help that I don't recognize what the ranks are by just looking at them.

"This unit is commanded by a guy with a crown.  I guess his rank is "King"."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2012, 07:10:40 PM
I can't figure out German or Commonwealth organization.  Brits and Canadians often have some officers or small groups of men who don't serve any purpose.  It doesn't help that I don't recognize what the ranks are by just looking at them.

"This unit is commanded by a guy with a crown.  I guess his rank is "King"."

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/

Unless it is their interface, then no help here.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Yeah, but it's the way they put their units together.  A company HQ doesn't consist of one squad with 2 officers 14 men.  It's all split up.  So you'll have one guy who I think is the captain, and he has like four guys with him.  And then there are a few other groups.  There is a sniper who I think is taken from that Company HQ and he and his best buddy form one two man unit.  Then another group which is called "1 section", which I think serves as an XO.  There also might be a jeep or a Universal carrier and the drivers of those might count towards what consists of a Company HQ

Then there is the guys who command company support or weapons platoons or whatever.  Usually you split up heavy weapons teams to support rifle, so you'll have these useless officers who I don't know what to do with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

sbr

Stalin had an efficient way of solving that problem.

Razgovory

I do sorta wonder what role these guys played in actual combat.  Take for instance a American rifle company.  There is a Captain, his XO and a bunch of guys who hang out with them.  Then there is three rifle platoons and one weapons platoon.  Each platoon is led by a LT.  I imagine that the weapons platoon doesn't all fight together in a group, and are probably split up across the company.  I wonder what that extra LT does.  I can understand his function in administrative sense, but less so in a tactical sense. 

11B4V

Getting a litle more comfortable with CMBN interface.

An American mech company prepares to seize the railway station.

A US squad comes under fire as it deploys on the eastside of the RR tracks.

60mm mortar stike on the northside of the railway station. Rest of the company begins the assault from the SW with two armored cars in support.

US squad assaulting the south building. Trying to establish a toehold on the station.

A sharp firefight develops as entry is made. The Krauts are getting the worst of it.

Squad secures the building and fires on the retreating Krauts.

All in all pretty slick. Just a matter of getting the interface down.

Razgovory

That is a hard mission for the Germans to win.  The train station is nearly undefendable.  Also remember, you almost always want to split your squads.  Unlike the previous games, explosions, even from smaller guns, kill your soldiers really quick.  You want them spread out.  You'll also find that you can only shoot out windows and doors.  The buildings are not abstract like in the previous games, so if you have a squad occupying a building, split them so you have one on one floor one on another.  I know you can't do that with your mortar guys.