And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I chuckled.  Boston accent.

Syt

I'd never seen the video to Al Jarreau's Mornin', but I'm glad I've watched it now.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2024, 04:20:34 PM

I chuckled.  Boston accent.

This makes me sad. Why is she correcting herself :(
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on March 28, 2024, 12:23:34 PMThis makes me sad. Why is she correcting herself :(

I assume because she want to have a career in TV.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2024, 01:06:53 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 28, 2024, 12:23:34 PMThis makes me sad. Why is she correcting herself :(

I assume because she want to have a career in TV.

It's not the 70s anymore.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on March 28, 2024, 02:52:58 PMIt's not the 70s anymore.

I'd be interested to hear your point if you have one to make.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2024, 03:57:04 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 28, 2024, 02:52:58 PMIt's not the 70s anymore.

I'd be interested to hear your point if you have one to make.

Meaning insisting that newsreaders should not have regional accents is a relic from the 70s. I'd like to think we've largely moved on, but I might be wrong.

HVC

Not on this side of the pond. Unless maybe you want to work for local news I guess. Wouldn't make it to the big leagues.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Play by play of Wittmann at Villers-Bocage.

Josquius

An ancient American TV show with minimal budget giving a really pretty interesting beginners look at linguistics. No big things I didn't know before but some interesting little side facts. Really hard to imagine such a show today.

██████
██████
██████

Syt

There's been some controversy (because there always is) about the Fallout series on Amazon supposedly retconning the lore of previous games (esp. the infamous blackboard - if you know, you know :P ).

I think Many A True Nerd has a decent view of things and how/why they make sense. I'm mostly reminded of controversies like when the Mandalorian TV show introduced Mandalorians never removing helmets and parts of the fandom losing their shit - only for it to be explained later.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

So I've seen a whole ton of Conan O'Brien stuff on social media.  You almost wondered if he had died or something - but no he did an appearance on chicken wing talk show Hot Ones which was really quite funny.    From Conan stuffing chicken wings in his pocket, to bringing out his "personal physician" to check on him, to chugging hot sauce at the end, he brought it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2024, 03:43:15 PMSo I've seen a whole ton of Conan O'Brien stuff on social media.  You almost wondered if he had died or something - but no he did an appearance on chicken wing talk show Hot Ones which was really quite funny.    From Conan stuffing chicken wings in his pocket, to bringing out his "personal physician" to check on him, to chugging hot sauce at the end, he brought it.

The John Oliver one was good, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

So here's a totally random anecdote.

Summer of 1997.  I had been accepted to law school that fall.  I had a environmental science / geology degree I had just graduated with.  So for a summer job I had a job with Manitoba Energy and Mines as a research assistant.  We spent part of our time out in the field (which in northern Manitoba is in the absolute middle of fucking nowhere) but the rest of our time was in Thompson, Manitoba, which was a town of maybe 10k, also in the middle of nowhere.

But even living in Thompson, I lived in an RV which was out by the float-plane base out on the Thompson River.  Just so you know I was hardly living in luxury.

So anyways - when we ere back in town I'd listen to the local radio - in Thompson I think there was only one.  They were doing a call-in request show.  I think this might be the only time in my life I was bored enough to call in to a request show.  I requested the latest Depeche Mode song - "It's No Good".  In part because I wanted to hear it, but in part just because I thought they wouldn't - this is northern Manitoba in the 1990s.

Anyways the radio host (who was probably no older than I was) was very excited for my request.  She dug through whatever cassettes they had.  On the air she was like "I found it! I found it!"  And played my request for Depeche Mode to the people of Thompson Manitoba in 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QPvffO1gs

I'm not even saying it's a great song or anything (although I love DM).  But it's something I'll always remember.

(but seriously if you're curious - look up Thompson Manitoba - then look up Island Lake, Manitoba where I did my field work - way the fuck in the middle of nowhere)

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2024, 11:47:12 PMSo here's a totally random anecdote.

Summer of 1997.  I had been accepted to law school that fall.  I had a environmental science / geology degree I had just graduated with.  So for a summer job I had a job with Manitoba Energy and Mines as a research assistant.  We spent part of our time out in the field (which in northern Manitoba is in the absolute middle of fucking nowhere) but the rest of our time was in Thompson, Manitoba, which was a town of maybe 10k, also in the middle of nowhere.

But even living in Thompson, I lived in an RV which was out by the float-plane base out on the Thompson River.  Just so you know I was hardly living in luxury.

So anyways - when we ere back in town I'd listen to the local radio - in Thompson I think there was only one.  They were doing a call-in request show.  I think this might be the only time in my life I was bored enough to call in to a request show.  I requested the latest Depeche Mode song - "It's No Good".  In part because I wanted to hear it, but in part just because I thought they wouldn't - this is northern Manitoba in the 1990s.

Anyways the radio host (who was probably no older than I was) was very excited for my request.  She dug through whatever cassettes they had.  On the air she was like "I found it! I found it!"  And played my request for Depeche Mode to the people of Thompson Manitoba in 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QPvffO1gs

I'm not even saying it's a great song or anything (although I love DM).  But it's something I'll always remember.

(but seriously if you're curious - look up Thompson Manitoba - then look up Island Lake, Manitoba where I did my field work - way the fuck in the middle of nowhere)

By the way I only linked to the video to complete the story - I had forgotten how funny portraying Depeche Mode as a bunch of skeezy lounge singers was.

Song is still merely okay.