News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on September 04, 2023, 02:42:38 AMAnd as usual a completely wacky attack by Grumbler.
What are you even talking about here?
I did watch that particular video and I was speaking about youtube in general.

Ah, the ad hom concession.  I accept.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2023, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 04, 2023, 02:42:38 AMAnd as usual a completely wacky attack by Grumbler.
What are you even talking about here?
I did watch that particular video and I was speaking about youtube in general.

Ah, the ad hom concession.  I accept.
:lmfao:
Are you like this in real life?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on September 04, 2023, 09:08:23 AM:lmfao:
Are you like this in real life?

If you are going to double down on the ad hom concession, I will double down on my acceptance of that concession.  :bowler:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Dodging answering :(
I believe this breaks one of the rules of the imagined debate club in his head.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I think I've figured out the pattern.

If grumbler says "this is the single stupidest post I've ever read,"  that is not an ad hom but a comment about a post.

If you respond "why are you always such an incredible pain in the ass,"  that is an ad hom because it extends beyond the immediate post.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRNZIKa6k7E

This is old.  Belgian chick shot putter and hammer thrower subs in to save hurdle team from elimination.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2023, 12:49:50 PMI think I've figured out the pattern.

If grumbler says "this is the single stupidest post I've ever read,"  that is not an ad hom but a comment about a post.

If you respond "why are you always such an incredible pain in the ass,"  that is an ad hom because it extends beyond the immediate post.

The pattern is that Josq says something bizarre like "youtubers moaning about youtube and demonisation has been going on a long while" when we were discussing a specific YouTube vid asking subscribers to consider helping out on Patreon because YouTube is unnecessarily blocking access to their stuff. No mention of demonization in the vid.  No mention by these guys about trying to "make a living off a hobby" (none of them are trying to make a living off history videos) but Josq brings it up for whatever reason.  In fact, Josq makes not a single point relevant to the discussion - as is also the pattern.

The pattern then is that I point out that his post is entirely orthogonal to the video and discussion, and he, as is his pattern, announces that I am making a "completely wacky attack."  I blow off his non-responsive response and he goes ad hom.  As is the pattern.

Then, as is the pattern, you show up to fan the flames.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on September 03, 2023, 04:28:45 PMYeah, youtubers moaning about youtube and demonisation has been going on a long while.
I sympathise. But fundamentally they have chosen to go freelance and make a living off a hobby. That's always going to be tough.
More respect for guys like this doing interesting content than many others. But still... It's hard to put in words but there's a bit of loss of sympathy in the "why don't I earn good money doing the thing many people do for free"

People are able to do loads of historical research and do extensive public outreach about it for for free?

In any case it is a call to action for their supporters and funders. We want to know these things so we can make sure their work continues.

I don't really care if you feel sympathy. If you don't like history work and public education then don't fund it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I've got to watching this guy's videos lately.
Super dry and unspectacular. Just a guy talking with occasional diagrams and random nature shots.
But the topics are really interesting. Lots of stuff about the development of the English language, nicely presented in such a way that non linguistics with a interest can get it.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Randomly suggested this one. Interesting stuff.
How different cultures view the world fundamentally differently and this impacts design preferences
Also the topic I traditionally thought I'd do for my PhD if I were ever to do one.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on October 12, 2023, 03:05:07 AM

Randomly suggested this one. Interesting stuff.
How different cultures view the world fundamentally differently and this impacts design preferences
Also the topic I traditionally thought I'd do for my PhD if I were ever to do one.

Had the exact same one in my suggestion a few days ago. Was worth the time

Syt

Undertaker and Mick Foley watch and reminisce about their (in)famous 1998 Hell in a Cell match.

(If you're wondering why the match replay goes black and white at some point - usually it's because YouTube is not happy to show blood/bleeding people in videos. :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

The Oldest View part 3 came out. I admit to being scared.
PDH!

Syt

I feel posting this video here is basically just preaching to the choir, but still ... :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.