News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2022, 02:33:39 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93yWXb9Tb0

Business nerdy cool.  10 largest companies in the world by market cap day to day, 1979 - 2021.

I chuckled at the Japanese moment in the sun.

Are Royal Dutch Shell and Shell Oil not the same company? confused

Schlumberger is not a French company? It was founded in and remains based in Paris. I know Houston is its second home but still seems odd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

I chuckled when pfizer showed up. boner pills took the market by storm.

Also, what the hell does AT&T do? I thought they were a phone com0any? Do/did Americans just pay a lot for phone service?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

The used to be the primary landline phone company...kinda died off for a while, then came back to be one of the major telcom/cell phone companies.  They are also a major cable TV/internet provider in some markets.

grumbler

AT&T was not just a phone company, it was a phone equipment company with an effective monopoly on phone services and equipment, plus its R&D branch (Bell Labs) was one of (and probably the) the most innovative research organizations on the planet; multiple Nobel prizes, invention of the radio telescope, the transistor, the laser, pretty much all of the major early computer operating systems and programming languages...

AT&T was huge, incredibly diversified, extremely profitable, and utterly monopolistic.  It was eventually broken up by court order because of the latter trait.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2022, 02:33:39 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93yWXb9Tb0

Business nerdy cool.  10 largest companies in the world by market cap day to day, 1979 - 2021.

I chuckled at the Japanese moment in the sun.

Are Royal Dutch Shell and Shell Oil not the same company? confused

Surprised its quite so America dominated, with some I've not heard of even. Would have thought BP and maybe the big consumer goods companies would be up there earlier.

And holy shit NTT. :blink:
Checking up it seems they just started listing their stock suddenly in 87- this could be a matter thats warping the charts, I imagine similar with Saudi Arabia suddenly popping up towards the end. It was already there and huge, just not measured on the markets.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on August 13, 2022, 02:07:48 PM
Quote from: Maladict on August 13, 2022, 01:54:07 PMIirc Shell Oil was the American subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell.

Shell Oil USA was the subsidiary.  It's numbers would be included in the Royal Dutch Shell numbers.

Still, that seems to be the company indicated by Shell Oil in the video. The Dutch and British companies were both called Royal Dutch Shell since near-fully merging in 1907.

I didn't now the British Shell company actually started out as a seashell business.

Josquius

Quote from: frunk on July 26, 2022, 07:23:37 PMOk, this was really weird.  I didn't expect a VFX explainer/debunker to collaborate with a Japanese girl group, but here we are.

That was bizarrely interesting.
I wonder how that came about- he did quite a lot of work for them in making 3 music videos. And AFAIK they're just another 2 a penny idol group. Their people hired him and he agreed on condition he could make this?
██████
██████
██████

frunk

I think he wanted to do a video on Music Video VFX by making videos for an actual band, and this is probably the first band that said yes.

Because of music copyright it's tough to do a good explainer on music videos without going through potentially expensive licensing, so it was cheaper (although not easier) to obtain it by doing short music videos for the band.

Syt

Oversimplified have released a two part video about the First Punic War :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Oh, in case you missed it, they also had one about the 1850s Pig War between UK and US which was quite amusing. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

frunk

Using 40 yo technology to imitate a 200 yo instrument playing a 120 yo song, the commodordion!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjjqvjbhlf8

Norwegian announcers spazzing about their man crush for Norwegian golfer Victor Hovland's practice session.