News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 10:41:02 AMSomehow I wound up watching a video series produced by The Onion back from 2012 called Sex House.  It's a scripted parody of almost every reality show ever.  6 attractive people (well 5 attractive people plus Frank) locked in a house encouraged to have sex all the time.

You might think that parodying reality tv would be like shooting fish in a barrel, but the show just gets darker and darker as it goes on.  It's all played completely straight (in usual The Onion style), and is funny as balls.

You can find it on youtube, and the complete season together only runs for one hour so it's not a huge time commitment.

Favourite line "to call this place 'evil' implies a clarity of purpose that I do not want to attribute to anyone involved".

Have you watched Porkin' Across America?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I stumbled upon this video about some stuff in Louisiana. I know very little about Louisiana, and I'm in no position to judge the accuracy of facts presented, though I have no reason to doubt them. I was very impressed by the way they presented, and their tone. Serious, but still "positive", factual and not full of "holy indignation". I liked that they were very clear about not blaming corporations for keeping costs down in a legal manner, but that both the problem and the solution are to do with the actions of the state of La.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

I think I saw that video popping up yesterday on my sugestions, which is funny given that it seems to be 3 years old already.

Reading a bit on them, it seems to be a network of Louisiana civic and religious organizations that is working on a number of issues, but mostly on ending corporate welfare in the state, as well as voter organization.

Josquius

This video randomly cropped up on my suggestions and I found it rather interesting.

I can relate quite a bit to what its saying. Sums up very well how I just don't get people who are really into street fighter or a old friend of mine's completely opposite attitude on RPGs.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2022, 02:24:55 AMI stumbled upon this video about some stuff in Louisiana. I know very little about Louisiana, and I'm in no position to judge the accuracy of facts presented, though I have no reason to doubt them. I was very impressed by the way they presented, and their tone. Serious, but still "positive", factual and not full of "holy indignation". I liked that they were very clear about not blaming corporations for keeping costs down in a legal manner, but that both the problem and the solution are to do with the actions of the state of La.

Blame Blue States; claim they actually do all the heavy lifting. etc etc.

Maybe this is the exception.
PDH!

Josquius

Not sure if it would apply to many others, it is quite dry, but I found this to be fascinating. A early 90s doc looking at bus privatisation.
Quite depressing as despite the problems being clear then, nothing was done.

██████
██████
██████

frunk

Ok, this was really weird.  I didn't expect a VFX explainer/debunker to collaborate with a Japanese girl group, but here we are.

Syt

Nicholas Moran aka Chieftain has visited the HGM in Vienna. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syVP6zDZN7I

Photo and video computer modeling to debunk moon landing hoax. 

The modeling stuff is pretty cool.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2022, 08:19:03 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syVP6zDZN7I

Photo and video computer modeling to debunk moon landing hoax. 

The modeling stuff is pretty cool.

The guy gets so much stuff wrong it's hard to think he will have any debunking success.  He calls the Sea of Tranquility "Tranquility Bay."  He misquotes Armstrong's famous words repeatedly ("giant leap for mankind" not "giant step for mankind") and says that NASA "forgot" to put a handle on the egress hatch (the hatch opened inwards so that no handle was needed and would just be dead weight in an extremely weight-critical design)...

and there  was more bullshit but I just shut it off.  When every tenth word is an untruth, it's not worth spending lifespan on.

Here's the moon landing hoax response that is more honest and careful.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93yWXb9Tb0

Business nerdy cool.  10 largest companies in the world by market cap day to day, 1979 - 2021.

I chuckled at the Japanese moment in the sun.

Are Royal Dutch Shell and Shell Oil not the same company? confused

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2022, 02:33:39 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93yWXb9Tb0

Business nerdy cool.  10 largest companies in the world by market cap day to day, 1979 - 2021.

Cool beans.

There were two "Shell" companies, one British and one Dutch, until they merged in 2005.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Jordan Peterson really fits into the Command and Conquer universe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on August 13, 2022, 09:56:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2022, 02:33:39 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93yWXb9Tb0

Cool beans.

There were two "Shell" companies, one British and one Dutch, until they merged in 2005.

Iirc Shell Oil was the American subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on August 13, 2022, 01:54:07 PMIirc Shell Oil was the American subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell.

Shell Oil USA was the subsidiary.  It's numbers would be included in the Royal Dutch Shell numbers.

Bayraktar!