News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Double the recommendation. Louis is great.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2022, 11:33:11 AM
Louis theroux meets the alt right. Somebody has uploaded it. His docs are great and if you've never seen one you need to see them all.

https://youtu.be/hq8ljf28zEc

Well, that was unpleasant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I think this short video illustrates the GOP today.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2022, 09:50:32 PM
Louis theroux meets the alt right. Somebody has uploaded it. His docs are great and if you've never seen one you need to see them all.

Well, that was unpleasant.

Yeah, I like Louis but that is a tough one to watch.

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2022, 10:39:05 PM

I think you forgot to add the link there. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

It was an interesting look at the mindset, but really didn't establish why we should be afraid of these characters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 20, 2022, 06:30:58 AM

It was an interesting look at the mindset, but really didn't establish why we should be afraid of these characters.

Their (allegedly) millions of viewers. The people in Louis' documentaries, although often espousing violent and reprehensible things, always had a certain entertaining value because they were so obviously fringe that they didn't really pose a public threat. I'm not getting that vibe here at all.

Josquius

The big difference I found between this one and the usual is that when Louis speaks to fringe people usually they're certain of the correctness of their beliefs.
They're open and willing to teach about how right they are whether it's neo nazis, boer nationalists, or swingers.
These guys though spent the whole time dancing around their actual beliefs. It's all a joke but it isn't and they aren't really racist but they are.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2022, 03:10:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2022, 10:39:05 PM

I think you forgot to add the link there. :)

Ah, yes.  That would help.

I think it would be introduced as "and a rebuttal by the Republican party"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzh7gyEI4eo

And before Teach becomes pedantic, the guy was going on about Joe Biden right before the video starts.  There is a longer video https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-unruly-passenger-growling-screaming-joe-biden-american-airlines-n1278623  but I think the shorter video is more entertaining.

Josquius

And the guy seems to be in business class....
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Drunks behave like drunks.  Film at 11.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Noah Caldwell Gervais has made a short video essay about the Dark Souls Trilogy (it comes in chapters, you don't have to watch it in one go :P ). I'm only 45 minutes in, but I would still recommend it up to this point if you have some interest in the series but are put off by the elitist "Git Gud" mentality surrounding the games at this point. He's writing very much from the perspective of someone who's not great and difficult games requiring lightning reflexes, and, after trying Bloodborne, decided these games were not for him. So even if you only watch the first 10-20 minutes you will get the gist of his change in attitude.

He points out something I really enjoy about the games. Yes, they have an innate difficulty, and they want to you to learn their mechanics and how the combat flows. However, they also provide you a lot of tools to mitigate that. You can level up your character. You can get better gear (weapons, armor, rings ...). You can upgrade your gear. You can summon NPCs or other players to help. If you suck at timing your dodges, get a shield and heavier armor. Some enemies might be vulnerable to certain elements. Etc.

And even though there's people who scoff at players making use of those aids, he's right: nobody *really* cares how you play the games as long as you have fun. And the developers put all those tools in there for a reason. There's no "wrong" way to play.

And he's quite right that once the games hook you in, you can get a bit obsessed with talking about your experiences and the games themselves. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

If anyone's looking for metal songs to check out, I very much recommend Tank the Tech:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvSGePWjMWirFn_YEeeoiYA

Tank is a roadie who started reaction videos to metal videos. Unlike most reaction channels, though, he does actual research into the bands and songs (if he doesn't do it beforehand, he'll often add additional info in "pop up video" style info boxes). Since he's a roadie he often comments on the bands' equipment such as it's visible in videos. It used to be a much bigger focus in his earlier videos. In between he does the occasional interview/podcast with musicians.

He's generally upbeat and positive, which is a bonus.
—Stephen Jay Gould